Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park Map with Streams Layered by Species

5/8/2013 UPDATE
    Because of a needed map format change, the free download is discontinued at least temporarily. I regret this inconvenience.
    – JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 05-09-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Replaced wrong PDF uploaded originally and expanded instructions
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Fred,
    I am going to check out all your latest updates this weekend. Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing with your fellow fisherman.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Default Layered Map - Take Two

I managed to upload the wrong PDF of the layered map and just noticed today. I have corrected the problem. Please go to the initial post of this thread and take another look. I regret any inconvenience. – JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 01-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

The Little River West Prong is highlighted, but not labeled. Labeling all highlighted streams would have made the map too busy, so I did so for only those the NPS called out on the map in the park Fishing Regulations.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

Joe Fred.........thank you for all of your hard work......
    Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Fred... You really do some great work! I wish you could find a way to geo reference your maps to work with avenza's pdf maps maps... Then I could use all these on my iPhone AND be able to know where exactly I am! That would be awesome. You could probably sell them through avenza's in App Store as well... Just sayin... An idea for you... Free of charge...

NDuncan, thanks for the kind words and suggestion. This morning I started delving into geospatial PDFs, but I promptly hit a fiscal snag: Avenza's MAPublisher® for Adobe Illustrator is mighty pricey (http://www.avenza.com/mapublisher/pricing). I am still researching, but in order to retain the richness of our maps (enchanced streams, trails, crossings, etc.) I would probably need that type software. I will look to see if there is a no-frills shareware alternative to MAPublisher® available. If not, there may be an outfit I could outsouce the geospatial PDF conversion work to. In the absence of that, then the best I might be able to produce (without a NPS grant ), would be something by employing the basic USGS 7.5 Minute Quad TIFFs from a source such as http://libremap.org/data/, or GeoPDFs of the quads from http://store.usgs.gov. In that case others on the message board could most likely master that approach. I would be happy to assist in such.

Any suggestions from anyone will be most welcome. Regardless of what comes of this, it will be tough improving on flyman’s awesome ‘mApp’ (see Post #6 in a related thread by Hoosier http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...light=gps+maps).

Back to it. – JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 02-02-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

We are about to order some GIS software that may have that capability in the next few weeks, Maybe I can learn how to use it and help you out if whatever we went up getting can do that.

I didn't realize that it took such high end software to do, but that's because i know nothing about it! I thought it could be done in acrobat or something..

Anyway If I get my hands on software, I'll let you know in case you haven't figured out a work around!

As of Now... this is my level of map making experience