Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norris Dam Sluicing ???

Madison you are right about the redds, hopefully they hadn't started when the gates opened, and if they haven't than maybe they will be alright. Good news is with the feeder creeks running high I bet they are stacked with spawners.

Wilson, I like your drawing.

Actually,
    The fluid dynamics are more like this illustration.

Also; if you look up/down stream right now you can notice a visible crown in the river due to the high volume/flow rate.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Gentlemen, I'm impressed with the artwork! Thanks for the lesson. We'll just have to hope for the best regarding the redds.
    “I fish......
    ......because the voices in my head tell me to.”

Unhappy

Shawn-

You got the laminar flow dead on. Makes it difficult to get a "dead drift" when you're running a dry/dropper set up. Also, the eddies can drive you nuts when your fly starts going upstream, and the trout are facing downstream.

Thanks for the illustration.

Bill

My joke turned into a very useful lesson thanks guys.

Anyone heard when TVA is gonna slow her down?

My assumption would be March
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
    Anyone heard when TVA is gonna slow her down?

My assumption would be March
    Watch the flow curves and when they get it back inside the curve they will back it down

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Watch the flow curves and when they get it back inside the curve they will back it down

Yeah; this about the best way to get an general idea. Then; you have to look at the upstream inflow data and take in account the amount or rainfall, etc.

Also; the water table is higher at the moment and they have to slowly cutback as to not create erosion problems.

I would expect that 1,000-1,002 would be a comfortable level for them to let up if we do not receive more abnormal rain events. It is starting to get closer to Mid-March when they need to focus on maintaining an adequate lake level to make it through statistically lower summer rainfall levels.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

Yeah; this about the best way to get an general idea. Then; you have to look at the upstream inflow data and take in account the amount or rainfall, etc.

Also; the water table is higher at the moment and they have to slowly cutback as to not create erosion problems.

I would expect that 1,000-1,002 would be a comfortable level for them to let up if we do not receive more abnormal rain events. It is starting to get closer to Mid-March when they need to focus on maintaining an adequate lake level to make it through statistically lower summer rainfall levels.
    I checked online today and it seems that the reservoir elevation (assuming that's what you were referring to) is nearing that 1,000 ft mark. The outflow is also projected to slow the next couple days.

Does this mean fishing soon or am I getting my hopes up prematurely? I know we're supposed to get a little rain this week as well so that may impact these projections some.

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Fly Man View Post
    I checked online today and it seems that the reservoir elevation (assuming that's what you were referring to) is nearing that 1,000 ft mark. The outflow is also projected to slow the next couple days.

Does this mean fishing soon or am I getting my hopes up prematurely? I know we're supposed to get a little rain this week as well so that may impact these projections some.

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan, I am really not sure. I figured it would have started to cycle down quicker than it has...

That being said and looking at the overall tributary system operating guide; I would expect the operational level would reach normal levels by next Thursday or so...

However; I do think the current TVA operating data could be skewed by the last decade of maintaining higher-winter pool levels.
    power