Last week I hit the Arkansas River tailwater in Pueblo since I hadn't fished for over a month. The weather was amazing with highs around 60 or so. Of course, a nasty day would have been nice to keep everyone else away but I'll take what I can get and happily. The rumor was that there were lots of nice fish but the hatches were a little sparse and pretty much limited to midges.

Arriving at the river, I got ready and then headed down to the stream to rig up. Upon observing the water and turning over a rock or two, I settled on a BHPT for weight and a trailing midge larva. The first two pools I tried disappointed. The first was really too shallow while in the second, I just didn't have the right fly or had drag, or one of the other problems that plague someone on a new stream.

Looking back upstream, I noticed an angler fishing off some rocks and took the opportunity to get an interesting photograph.

Back to the stream, I found a deep run that was perfect for my indicator technique. Drifting my flies time and again over perfect structure, I was starting to lose any confidence that I had started with when the indicator finally pulled under. The hook set brought about an interesting dilemma: the fish wouldn't budge, at least not the direction I wanted it to go. The ensuing battle tested my patience but finally ended with the gorgeous 20" rainbow secure in my net. I snapped a quick head shot and then a nearby gentleman graciously agreed to snap a picture for me.

After releasing the big rainbow, the rest of the trip seemed anticlimactic, but I was fishing much more relaxed now with the skunk off and was soon catching more fish including an 18" rainbow plus a mix of smaller fish.

Pausing another time allowed me to take a self portrait of sorts.

Finally, even though the sun had not set, I was happy and content with my day and decided to head out. It had been a great trip to a new piece of water. I'll be returning but honestly I'm excited for the warm months to get here so I can explore the high mountains.