Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clinch 3/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Shhhhh, keep that talk to a minimum. We don't want anyone getting the idea I'm not the biggest jerk on the river

Glad it's working well for you and hope fishing continues to stay productive a well

Seems to be a phase of long ago...I like the new waterwolf.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by stevee71 View Post
    Waterwolf I owe you a big thank you. I have been using a midge pattern you disclosed on this site several years ago and I catch fish every time I go. I had 3-4 others around me and they did not catch near the fish a I did.
    I don't want to step on any toes, but in the sense of paying it forward, could I possibly get some pattern (or any other) advice for future reference?

Relatively speaking I'm a clinch (and fly fishing) newbie but generally have moderate success there throwing zebras & PTs in the 18-20 range. I was there Saturday but personally found the action to be a little slow...

If you don't want to disclose any specific hints for fishing the clinch I understand but I'll take any help I can to get for more fish in my net.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan
    I am fairly new as well I started fly fishing in 2010 but due to purchasing a new home and family commitments I have fished very little the last few years.

When I first started I did not catch many fish at all either so I came to this board and read it almost daily. The guys on here give great advice and are experts on fishing the Clinch.

I think the thing that helped me the most was switching to a floucarbon tippet in 6x. I use the same size midges and BHPT that you are using. I look for the fish that are feeding and fish that area until I catch one. I switch patterns if I do not catch anyhting after around 10-15 cast.

I will give you the color but only with the blessing of WW since I got it from him. If he says it is okay I will email it to you.

There are no real secrets to fishing the Clinch, I grew up fishing this behind Wolf. Two flys is all a man really needs out there. Bead Head Pts and midges. Yes everyone knows about the zebra midges.

Try this out for a midge, black tungsent bead, with a olive V rib for a body. I tie and fish them also in black. you can put a little dubbing behind the bead if you wish, sometimes it makes a difference other times it doesn't matter.
    Floro is a must and tungsten is worth the extra price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
    There are no real secrets to fishing the Clinch, I grew up fishing this behind Wolf. Two flys is all a man really needs out there. Bead Head Pts and midges. Yes everyone knows about the zebra midges.

Try this out for a midge, black tungsent bead, with a olive V rib for a body. I tie and fish them also in black. you can put a little dubbing behind the bead if you wish, sometimes it makes a difference other times it doesn't matter.
    Floro is a must and tungsten is worth the extra price.
    This olive midge with a black bead is what I use and I purchase them from LRO. I do not think you can get this pattern at Clinch River Outfitters.

Here is the link to a great discussion on midges.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=13658
    Last edited by stevee71; 03-11-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks for the help!

Do you guys normally use a dry-dropper or double/single nymph with a strike indicator or what? I'm also curious how successful people are fishing top water.
    Last edited by Dan the Fly Man; 03-11-2013 at 11:02 PM.

I use a single fly with a strike indicator.

I can attest to the light OLIVE zebra midge effectiveness; last summer I threw everything midge at the fish and could barely buy a strike; meanwhile Beto was fishing a light olive zebra, tung bead with silver rib, and he consistantly hooked-up.

At the time I did not have this particular color; I do now.

A QUESTION THOUGH.... Have any of you guys tried throwing a size 16 BH zebra?

Typically I throw them in 20 and 22..... but wonder if the fish might go for a larger representation? I have a devil of a time handling the hooks, beads and finished flies much less getting them tied on to the point with old eyes and fingers.

On "Speculation" I have tied up a bunch in size 16 and will also do size 18 with the hope that "going large" might work out.

I mainly fish size 16 and 18 Corbo. When the black flies are out then I might drop to some 20's. IMO below a twenty-two you loose some holding power. On my 20's and below I off set the point with the shank.
    Lynn

Default black fly

I have tied and fished several black fly patterns. I have not found one that is better than all the others. The one I usually go to is #22-#22 black thread with a very small amount of short white hair for the wing, usually the tail makes no difference.
    Does anyone have a go to black fly pattern ?
    c.v.