Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clinch River [Bug Pics]

Corbo, IMO it's not the inability to tie flouro to mono that's causing you issues. It's the mirage, unless something dramatic has changed that stuff was awful. Try the Umpqua Super Flouro or the Frog Hair Flouro. Both are much better in my opinion. Also, tying a yarn indicator into flouro will cause a major weak spot, it seems flouro cuts into itself and the knot used for yarn won't generally hold in flouro.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Corbo, IMO it's not the inability to tie flouro to mono that's causing you issues. It's the mirage, unless something dramatic has changed that stuff was awful. Try the Umpqua Super Flouro or the Frog Hair Flouro. Both are much better in my opinion. Also, tying a yarn indicator into flouro will cause a major weak spot, it seems flouro cuts into itself and the knot used for yarn won't generally hold in flouro.
    Richard,
    I agree with Jim's tips. I have experienced similar trouble with the Orvis Mirage Tippet. It seems to be worse in winter or colder air temperatures. Also; it feel it has a short-shelf life and you must buy fresh product to keep from having issues.

I have been using the Frog Hair Flouro 5x for most of my joys! It holds extremely well and thwarts memory or curling better than most brands.

Also; I stopped using the drop knot with wool indicator after losing some very nice fish. It broke at the indicator every time.

Hope to see you on the water soon!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

In case you have not seen it here is a link to an article in Flyfisherman where they tested a variety of tippet materials and knots
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/05/...?pid=418#image
    "Here fishy fishy."

Great article Silvercreek!
    I live and die by Seaguar and have landed many trout up to 24" on the stuff (6X).

4X

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    In case you have not seen it here is a link to an article in Flyfisherman where they tested a variety of tippet materials and knots
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/05/...?pid=418#image

After this article came out I was curious about the trout hunter tippet. I've been using it ever since and mostly fish their 5.5x tippet. It is great stuff. Very strong and their spools are well designed. Zero complaints

I've stayed clear of Orvis tippet for a couple years now. I broke off many fish with multiple spools of their flouro. Those 12 inch stockers put up too much of a fight for Orvis 6x
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

It's important how you store your fluorocarbon. I've never had a problem with most brands. I always thought Climax was too stiff, but didn't really have problems with it otherwise. I usually use Rio Fluoro and have had great success with it.

I tie six turn blood knots and wet them well before cinching. Then I'lleave and 1/8 tag. No problems with knot slippage when working within 2 tippet sizes. When using heavier line, I will leave longer tags and flash melt them with a lighter. This creates a bulb on the tag that will not slip through the knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
    It's important how you store your fluorocarbon. I've never had a problem with most brands. I always thought Climax was too stiff, but didn't really have problems with it otherwise. I usually use Rio Fluoro and have had great success with it.

I tie six turn blood knots and wet them well before cinching. Then I'lleave and 1/8 tag. No problems with knot slippage when working within 2 tippet sizes. When using heavier line, I will leave longer tags and flash melt them with a lighter. This creates a bulb on the tag that will not slip through the knot.
    Great tips and information. Thanks for sharing and helping others Rocky...

I have pretty much used Climax Leaders for the past 3-4 years and love them. I use the Climax tippet for wet fly action and soft hackles.

Also; agree about the storage of line and material. A day in a hot car and dry out your line and leach it of its core moisture.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

Exclamation 06/18/13 Pic Update

Updated with new pictures for those interested...

Note: Found my first big-Hex this year...

Also; I have been surprised to find so many caddis on the Clinch...
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-20-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    power