Thread: Crane fly larva

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crane fly larva

Shawn recently shared a photo of a mystery bug from the clinch; some thought it may be a crane fly larva; others a caddis, perhaps a cased caddis outta his case.

Anyway I recall Hugh Hartsell's website and a few of his comments once at Troutfest about the Holston having a great many craneflies and did some looking into things last night after fishing a "copy" of Shawn's bug with good results on the Holston.

A guy named WALT YOUNG created a simple fly called "Walt's Worm" that is nothing but a weighted hook with a dubbed body of gray rabbit hair, (my flies were weighted hooks with Orvis Hare's ear ice dub clipped with a brown head of big fly dub also clipped and I used copper wire.

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/fly_tyi...alts_worm.html

These are too easy to tie so consider trying them out.

Don't know if yesterday's fish thought they ate a "brown headed" crane fly OR a caddis pupa but sometimes the simply tied flies catch lotsa fish.

I used size 14 and 16 hooks 3x long.

Richard,
    There is a sweet fly for the Clinch called a "squirrel" fly that mimics the pattern you shared and works very well.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I use a size appropriate scud hook and wrap a tan rubber band or some other latex and then a turn or two of peacock. I've caught a lot of fish on this pattern but its not very durable.
    Lynn

Lynn-

A rubber band? You know, you might be on to something there! Could be a substitute for wrapping quill. I like the looks of quill, but it is a PITA for me to wrap on a hook. Might have to give it a try. Rubber bands come in different widths, thickness, and colors.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
    Lynn-

A rubber band? You know, you might be on to something there! Could be a substitute for wrapping quill. I like the looks of quill, but it is a PITA for me to wrap on a hook. Might have to give it a try. Rubber bands come in different widths, thickness, and colors.

Bill
    I can't take credit for the rubber band. I can't remember where I saw it, maybe Jacks idea. Like I said not very durable and the rubber band dries out pretty quickly. Let us know what you come up with. I've been doing this for awhile but it never fails. I have learned things from folks who have fished for fifty years but have also gotten ideas from guys who have fished for a short time too. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Josh at the Soho fly shop makes a black fly larva fly with brown & black "silli legs" rubber band that is simply wrapped on the shank; usually on size 18 hook.... he doesn't even use thread.