Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFO Rod

Default TFO Rod

Just looking for opinions about TFO BVK & Professional 8-9 wt rods (8--9 ft). I typically like a more medium action rod, but I am willing to listen to all opinions (I'll cast before buying--I'll use it for salmon, striper, & reds). Price is not a big factor (so if there is another brand you really like, then list it). Just wanting a new rod for larger fish.

Sterling

The TiCrX might be a better rod for salmon over the two you've mentioned, rated for lifting power.

Grumpy

I'll second Grumpy's suggestion. I use a TiCrX 7 weight and love it. I've cast the BVK though and really like it as well...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thanks Grumpy. I'll take a look at the TiCRX. Only misgiving on it was that is more fast action.

How does the TiCRX handle larger streamers/weighted flies?

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerfly View Post
    How does the TiCRX handle larger streamers/weighted flies?
    Several years back, i was fortunate enough to take 2 high end fly rods out Striper fishing & an X.
    Throwing a sink tip & larger flies, i was totally surprised to find the X out performed the high $$ rods, at least in my hands, mileage may vary as they say.

Grumpy

Thanks for the info Grumpy & David!

Ruggerfly, I have thrown heavily weighted streamers for trout, stripers, and musky on the 7 weight TiCrX and it did great for all species. Here's a striper I landed on it...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I use the professional 2 in a 7 and 9 wt for salt water striper and any other larger fish. I love those rods. The only rods I like more is the sage one rods but they are 5 times the price but I feel 5 times the rod also. But the professional rods are great rods for the price. The bvk has a lifting weakness. I know a guy who had a bvk replaced 6 times for breaking. One of those times was just lawn casting
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I bought a TFO Proffesional recently and love it.