Went to the smokies on wednesday 4/24/13 with a friend to do some camping and some fishing. We arrived at elkmont camp ground around noon and set up camp. We then proceeded to hike up the little river trail to fish. We went up the trail a good little piece before stepping in and trying our luck. By this time it was roughly around 1:30 pm. We were not seeing many fish (none is more like it) but I believe that became our advantage. A small afternoon shower passed over and the dry fly bite turned on. A size 16 para blue wing olive was the ticket. I brought nine fish to hand and missed somewhere around 30 short strikes and refusals. The ones i landed were between 9 to 12 inch fish. We came off the water around 6:00 pm and started the hike back out.

4/25/13 we slept in till around 9:00 and then fixed some breakfast and headed toward greenbriar. After a short stop to pick up some more floatant we were finally on the way. We got to the water around 11:00 and started fishing right above the ramsey cascades trail head. This day was totally great I fished a size 14 adams all day and brought to hand 26 fish. My friend brought 19 to hand. Most fish were small in size but still a blast to see take the fly. Some pools would yield three to four fish. Numerous short strikes happened and we came off the water around 4:00 pm. I was totally happy with this accomplishment as this was the first trout fishing stream I ever fished some 16 years ago. On that trip with a guide I only caught about nine and they were by total luck. So going back and fishing with no guide and doing this well was full circle for me and my smoky mountain trout fishing.

4/26/13 We got out a little earlier and decided to go down to WPLP. We got there around 9:00 am and started getting ready. My buddy started up the trail and I was hiking with him. About a hundred yards up I realized that I didn't get my bottle of water. I ask my friend to hold my rod and I would be right back. I hiked back down to the truck when I saw 2 huge doe deers running across the road and up the trail. I said to myself this is going to be funny so I just watched. My friend dressed in sage colored clothing was in the middle of the trail and didn't know they were coming. When he turned around the deer stopped no kidding but about 9 feet from hitting him. Any way back to the fishing right. We went up the trail about 75 yards and started fishing. After about 3 hours I met up with my friend and I had not caught a single fish. He on the other had had caught around 14. All very small fish. Shortly after that I brought 2 to hand and they were very small. Size 14 adams was the fly we used on that day. We decided to come off this piece of water and move back to little river trail at elkmont. We made it back to the camp ground and I decided to hold there while he went on up the trail to fish. I set around the campground and talked with other fisherman that had a successful day and they were using a dry dropper combo. They had 2 browns and 3 bows all caught with in an hours time. Now I do not fish nymphs but nymphs performed well for this guy. My buddy came back down the trail and he had caught around 7 more. Still on dries. That is all we fished on this trip.

We got up the next morning and packed up everything and headed back home to the wives and families. Now a week later I am already day dreaming about the next trip back.

Sorry for no photos but we were never in a situation where we wanted to stop casting long enough to take a photo. lol

Hope you find this very informative.