Thread: Watauga River

Question Watauga River

Do any of ya'll that live up near the Watauga have any idea when TVA will stop spilling water and stop the 2 generators ? I know it's a shot in the dark , but I'm planning a fishing trip in that area next Monday and Tuesday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
    Do any of ya'll that live up near the Watauga have any idea when TVA will stop spilling water and stop the 2 generators ? I know it's a shot in the dark , but I'm planning a fishing trip in that area next Monday and Tuesday.

Mike
    If you go to the website and click on the link for graphs of the lake elevations/flood stages you can get a pretty good idea when they will back off. IMO as soon as the reservoir gets just below full pool they will back off, and with a week or dry weather hopefully headed our way, it may be okay next weekend, but certainly not this weekend.

Mike,
    I feel your pain bud. Mihai is in town for ten-days and it looks like bad timing. I agree with Jim's assumption on the water release schedule. I usually check the trend guide and try to gauge how much the water is going down per day to get around full pool. Then; hope we do not get any more monsoons.

However; I have a good feeling about the Clinch this year! It seems to me that the weir being closed down has helped create a no-fishing/stress zone for the fish and the sulphurs are thick in the vegetation.
    I think TWRA should have this on the Clinch every year for a trout (brown in particular) spawn period - closing up past clear creek's inflow to the Clinch.

We may fish in NC if you want to join us...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I heard the lake was at record levels due to all the rain and flooding they had in NC last week. Sorry to say, but it could be a while if we get any more rain.

When I was there last weekend, the lake was way above summer pool level and it rained a lot more Sunday and Monday I think.