Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks and Browns

Default Brooks and Browns

Made a last minute trip into Cataloochee valley and the brook trout and browns were quite cooperative. Best day fishing GSMNP so far; both quantity (9 total brought to hand) and size. My son landed a nice one as well. Elk hair Caddis and Stimulators were on the menu.
    Here are the highlights...

A nice brown

And a beautiful Brookie

Check out the belly on this one...

This is one my son landed...

Really nice fish ,thanks for the post sounds like a great trip , need to put that on the list of places to explore

Smile

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Cataloochie is a beautiful place. Someone I know called it Cades Cove without the people (minus elk rut)

I would bet there was a big crawfish or salamander in the belly of that one Brookie

If you up to catching 9 you are most of the way there, and have now learned most of the basics, and should be catching big numbers soon

Default And a Rainbow makes a Slam?

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
    Made a last minute trip into Cataloochee valley and the brook trout and browns were quite cooperative. Best day fishing GSMNP so far; both quantity (9 total brought to hand) and size. My son landed a nice one as well. Elk hair Caddis and Stimulators were on the menu.
    Here are the highlights...

A nice brown

And a beautiful Brookie

Check out the belly on this one...

This is one my son landed...

Hit Greenbrier area today and three rainbows came to hand. It's a lousy pic, but here is one of them...

Guess I don't know the rules on a Smoky Slam, but doesn't that count? 3 creeks, 2 Days, 1 trip and all three trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Really nice fish ,thanks for the post sounds like a great trip , need to put that on the list of places to explore
    Yes, definitely put it on the list. I am an amateur at best and have always been rewarded for my efforts in this area, even the first trip after only 6 months with a flyrod.

Just 6 months! Dude, it took me 6 months just to catch a fish when I switched to a flyrod. If I was making reports back then, they would have been just hiking reports.

Nice job.

Thanks for the report. I really need to get out and fish.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

took me 6 months to get the flies out of the trees!

Very nice report. I hope they are still that willing the last weekend in Sept. i will be camping/fishing over there then. I can hardly wait.

Love this report...very impressive not having a mentor following you around. I got my basics up there during a month of fishing with my cousin on several trips to FC Prong and WPLP...that was over 50 years ago when the Park was only opened to fishing from mid-April to mid-Sept and the govt still had a stocking program in the Park. Can't imagine what it would be like having to start over today. While I later learned a few finer points from watching my grandfather fish Lynn Camp you will develope your own style of fishing...this will include tackle, casting, fly size, time of day, water flow and on and on....the more you try the better you will get...and you will be able to relish in the individuality of this sport...good luck and keep the reports coming.

Smile

Nice day, those fish can be finicky. Beautiful place and a nice way to spend the day with your son. It has only been in the last few years that you can catch specs in the main stream. Years ago they were rare except in the tributaries.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali