Thread: Greetings from the Pennsylvania Low Lands!

Default Greetings from the Pennsylvania Low Lands!

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I hail from south-central Pennsylvania. I'm an avid small stream fly fisherman. I enjoy chasing our native brookies (specs to y'all) around our freestone mountain stream, but also enjoy the challenges of our central PA limestoner like Letort, Big Spring, etc. I spend a lot of time (and learned to fly fish) in the north-central PA region fly fishing tight mountain streams.

So when I thought of the perfect small stream experience for me to attempt this coming fall, I immediately thought of fly fishing the Smoky Mountains! Chasing wild rainbows around on those small mountain streams is a chance I don't get in PA. Our wild rainbows are usually confined to the limestoners...to do it on small mountain freestoners excites me (not to mention catching some of your native brookies, which I believe are "more native" than our breeds up here!).

My father and I will be heading down your way on Oct. 10th to fish through the weekend. We will be staying at Smokemont campground in the park, and this website has been/will continue to be a great resource for me. I thank you all in advance for the help! If any of you make your way up to PA, let me know and I'll gladly share any information I can w/ you!

PS-I fish w/ glass. Anyone else in that club!?

Welcome bud, I replied to your post in my intro wondering if you were the same guy from PAFF?

Yup. Same Squatch. Don't hold that against me.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Sasquatch View Post
    Yup. Same Squatch. Don't hold that against me.
    LOL, Let me know when you are coming down I will try and help you out if you want.

Columbus Day weekend! We're staying in Smokemont. I plan on driving to LRO from Lancaster that Thursday, arriving around 1pm or so, throwing some business to this helpful organization, then driving a little over an hour to Smokemont. I'm really excited, dude. If you had to leave the trout wonderland of PA, you really picked a great place to move to!

Smokemont is one of my favorite places to stay in the Park! You will have a great time over there. Fish Straight Fork while you are over there...it is one of the places you have a good shot at the Smokies slam of a rainbow, brook, and brown. Watch for big browns on the move in the Oconaluftee. There are some big 'uns in there. Here's one from a couple of years ago...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Great. I'll add Straight Fork to the list.

I like your signature. I'm a theology student here in Lancaster (finishing my under graduate work in May of 2014 and hopefully heading to seminary that Fall!)