Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: So are the $$$ expensive rods that much better?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default So are the $$$ expensive rods that much better?

    I was in a local fly shop today scouting 8'4" rods. They have three Orvis models ranging from $198 to $600-ish. They looked and felt the same to me.

    What's the diff?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    I was in a local fly shop today scouting 8'4" rods. They have three Orvis models ranging from $198 to $600-ish. They looked and felt the same to me.

    What's the diff?
    Did you cast them?

    I do believe that some rods are over-priced, and aren't worth the premium price. Most of my rods are mid-range rods, but I do have one Orvis premium rod (that I bought on clearance for 50% off). I must say that it casts exceptionally well. The difference is in all the minor details that make up the premium rod: weight, flex, materials, balance, etc. All of these typically add up to performance.

    I am not advocating that people splurge and only buy $600 rods. I know lots of people who are very please with their TFO Signature rods. I have a TFO 7'3" 2-wt that I fished in the park for a few years with, and it is probably my second favorite rod. I believe it depends on how often you fish, how passionate you are about fishing, and how much disposable income you have.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    I agree with chemeangler. the main difference is components, graphite and a few small other details. A american made rod will always cost more than any off shore rod company. Also just because the rods are high dollar doesn't mean they are equal. Here is an example, not really saying these rods just a hypothetcal example. Just because a orvis rod cost the same as a sage rod doesn't mean there the same on performance. A mid line sage might cast as well as a high dollar St. Crouix. So with that being said, cast the rods you like not looking at any price tags and lay them out as best to least liked then see which one falls in your targeted budget. When you find what you cast and like best then it will not matter the cost because each time you go fishing you will use it more than any other rod you own.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    887

    Default

    They aren't any better than the arm they're attached to. Having said that, they are fun to fish

    Grumpy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    243

    Default

    I've cast a TFO BVK and a Sage One; I could barely tell the difference.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    Did you cast them?

    I do believe that some rods are over-priced, and aren't worth the premium price. Most of my rods are mid-range rods, but I do have one Orvis premium rod (that I bought on clearance for 50% off). I must say that it casts exceptionally well. The difference is in all the minor details that make up the premium rod: weight, flex, materials, balance, etc. All of these typically add up to performance.

    I am not advocating that people splurge and only buy $600 rods. I know lots of people who are very please with their TFO Signature rods. I have a TFO 7'3" 2-wt that I fished in the park for a few years with, and it is probably my second favorite rod. I believe it depends on how often you fish, how passionate you are about fishing, and how much disposable income you have.
    Excellent post and explanation! I second the TFO Rods. I would say they are the Honda Brand of the fly rod business. Very good rods, durable, and excellent value for the price.

    They aren't any better than the arm they're attached to. Having said that, they are fun to fish

    Grumpy
    Grumpy - So true! You actually made me laugh this early AM!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Halifax, VA
    Posts
    772

    Default

    You have to cast them, especially when you're putting down the big $ for them. (At least it's big $ to me). I don't know how much difference they make but I find myself picking up my Winston more than any other rods I own.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    287

    Default

    never owned a big $$$ rod so I don't know. I do own an orvis which my wife proudly bought me and it fishes fine for what I need it to do. Now if I could just get Grumpy's casting arm I would be set!

    Would love to own what I consider a big $$$ rod but I got other bills to pay and that money can fun a trip to Smokeys and get me out of warm water ponds.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    You have to cast them, especially when you're putting down the big $ for them.
    so how do you talk a store into letting you take it fishing for some test casts?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    They aren't any better than the arm they're attached to. Having said that, they are fun to fish

    Grumpy
    BINGO!

    Right on to those saying components is the biggest difference. Heck, if you can afford them and want them, go for it. I can't afford the big buck rods, so I buy vintage haha! If I'm gonna be fishin' with "low budget" gear, it might as well be stylish, right? It's also important that we don't equate low cost with "cheap", nor do we equate high cost with quality.

Similar Threads

  1. Rods
    By 4wt in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
  2. rods stolen
    By billyspey in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
  3. How many rods do you have and where do
    By BlueRaiderFan in forum Tackle and Gear
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
  4. rods
    By southernboy in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
  5. 6' Rods
    By Brook Fan in forum Tackle and Gear
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •