Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Backcountry Recipes

Default Best Backcountry Recipes

Headed to the park in a couple of weeks for some backpacking/fishing. Getting a head start on my menu and was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions (including for a couple of trout). Thx.

Corn on the Cob - Take however many ears of corn you plan to eat, some frozen bacon ((frozen so that it will be good that evening) some chili powder and alum. foil..... wrap the
    bacon , 1 or 2 oieces, around the ear of corn. sprinkle an ample amount of chile powder all over the ear of corn, then wrap it in the foil and put it on the grate over the coals. Let it roast for about 15-20 min. and rotate a 1/4 turn every 4-5 min. Great Stuff !!!

Mike

not a meal but the cheesecake stuff that mountin house has is pretty good

My first night i usually pack a bit in and go all out.

Trout- i usually wrap in foil. Butter, salt. pepper, lemon and taragon. For wild, fresh caught....love it. I usually add asparagus. Enjoyed with a Lagavulin 21.

Makes for a great first night in front of the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
    Corn on the Cob - Take however many ears of corn you plan to eat, some frozen bacon ((frozen so that it will be good that evening) some chili powder and alum. foil..... wrap the
    bacon , 1 or 2 oieces, around the ear of corn. sprinkle an ample amount of chile powder all over the ear of corn, then wrap it in the foil and put it on the grate over the coals. Let it roast for about 15-20 min. and rotate a 1/4 turn every 4-5 min. Great Stuff !!!

Mike
    Oh and the bacon is excellent wrapped around a trout. Cook it for as long as you want, if you do it right, the trout will not dry out

Not a backcountry pic, but just as good. I usually leave heads on though. Stuff with herbs (or ramps in the right time of year) for a really special treat!

i'm pretty minimalist when it comes to food as i don't like to carry more weight than i have to. sometimes i just pick up some MRE's if i can find any. my usual lunch is a family size pouch of tuna, mayo and crackers. then potatoes, oil and black pepper to go with my trout on a stick dinner. and of course raspberry zingers

Good call on the bacon....

Between the fish, butter and bacon...going to have to cook a mile from camp...

Freeze a burger patty wrap it in Aluminum foil. Pack a potato a carrot a onion put half stick of margarine fold up some extra aluminum foil. when you get to campsite and build fire place cutup veggies and hamburger with margarine in extra foil, season to taste place in fire coals for about one hour.

The bacon wrapped trout looks like it would be really good. I'm gonna give it a try soon. One thing about wrapping the corn with the bacon is that it eliminates the need for butter unless you just want it, ,cause all you need really is to add a little salt .

Mike

Trout of course if I can. I also have moved away from the freeze dried stuff and mainly take fresh foods especially if going for just 1 night. I did hike the whole Lakeshore trail last year and deydrated sweet potatoes, corn, and some other veggies and mixed that in freezer bags with cheesy potato mix and summer sausage. Mostly I take hard boiled eggs and frozen burgers.