My friend Larry made the trip up from the Keys, and we were able to make a nice trip to the smokies. We drove up Wednesday after I got off work, and after my fly club meeting (Sea Island Fly Fishers). Needless to say we got to smokemont and set up at about 0400 on Thursday.

We slept for about 2.5 hours then got up, and made some breakfast prior to starting to fish. I had been wanting to fish the Luftee for a while, particularly in the fall. The weather was decent, with some rain. We did not catch many fish, but Larry and I both managed a couple of decent browns, 13-15 inches. I did manage to catch a couple of res escapees, including and 17 inch and 20 inch rainbow. Unfortunately I had left my phone/camera safe from the rain back at camp.

Late in the afternoon we decided to go up straight fork, and see if the water was clear enough to fish. We took a ride up the road, and it was chocolate milk all the way. It was getting late, and we thought about fishing, but decided to call it. On the way back I noted that the water was starting to clear a little, so I decided to stop at a big brown hole to give it a shot with a bugger I had tied. This 19 inch brown came out of the water to take my fly:

We met FearNoFishBob, and we were lucky enough to get to talk to him several times while we were here. Thursday night it continued to storm, but we got up and had a great breakfast:

Larry's blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup were great.

After talking to Bob, we decided to try a stream we had talked about fishing for years, but just hadn't made it to yet. We made the drive to the bridge to nowhere, and hiked up to fish Noland Creek. The fishing was post front, and tough, but the country was beautiful. We didn't catch too many fish, and late in the afternoon made to call to head back to camp, and hit DQ on the way for a little ice cream. Then called it a day.

On Saturday we decided we would head over the pass and hit one of the streams on the TN side of the pass.

Not to far over the other side we decided to give the creek a try right along the road. We hiked down 5 hundred yards or so, then were going to fish back to the car and decide what we wanted to do. The scenery was great, even with all of the noise of the bikes:

The fishing ended up being great, and we spent the next 7 hours loosing count of these:

Larry being stealthy

We did manage a few of these