Thread: up coming trip

Default up coming trip

Well, baring a Government shut down some friends and I are supposed to make a 5 day camping trip to Smokemont this weekend. I have been tying like crazy every night to help support everyone with flies that they will need and might not have. But as usually happens when tying in bulk, I do get tired of cranking out pheasant tails stimulators and caddis. So I decided to make few rubber legged selections with the thoughts of big browns dancing in my head... I will be sadly disappointed if the park is shut down this weekend. But, there is always a silver lining...If the shutdown occurs, I suppose a 5 day trip to the South Holston will suffice!

Thumbs up

2W,
    That's a good looking nymph. i am a big believer in adding rubber legs to nymphs. I have also in the last couple of years started adding soft hackle collars to a lot of my nymphs. My observations are by no means scientific, but my catch rate seems to have gone up with both.
    Last edited by flyman; 09-29-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I add rubber legs to a lot of my larger nymphs and even to some of my larger dries. I went through a CDC phase for a while where I added a CDC collar to my nymphs... They sure did catch fish, however, I did notice that even with a tungsten bead they did not sink quickly. So Since then I have all but abandoned the CDC collar on nymphs except for special situations.

My brother and I just got back from a 5 day trip based out of Elkmont. Yellow was the color for dries. I pretty much fished a yellow caddis with a bh prince/pheasant tail/hare's ear dropper the whole time. We did well. It was pretty cool to see yellow-bodied mayflies, caddis and stoneflies all hanging around the camp light at night.