Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no National Park webpages available

UPDATE: The paragraphs below is from Dainel's LRO fishing report on this webpage this morning for those who might have missed it:

"Well, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and ALL the others for that matter, is still closed this morning. US 441 Newfound Gap Road is open to through traffic. You can drive to Cherokee, NC but they have the pull offs barricaded so there is no stopping. All other roads in the Park are closed including Little River Road, Tremont Road and Cades Cove. Visitors aren't even allowed to walk or bike in."

"I tried calling the Cherokee National Forest offices yesterday and finally got a voice mail saying that they were on furlough and unable to answer the calls. This morning I called the TWRA and the lady I spoke with there said that the information that they had was that National Forest Campgrounds were closed but roads were still open and hunts and fishing opportunities would continue as normal. Having the National Forest remaining open provides tons of fishing opportunities.
    Keep in mind that the main part of Tellico River is closed to fishing on Thursdays and Fridays due to normal stocking. You also need a special Tellico Permit in addition to your TN Fishing license and Trout Stamp. If you fish North River or Bald Rivers you do not need the extra permit and you can fish everyday."
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

South Cherokee NF has some campgrounds closed, the roadways are open. There are bear hunts starting Saturday that will run through the next couple weeks.

The fishing in Tellico River is open 7 days as the stocking days are over and they are on the catch and release portion of the delayed harvest schedule.

Remember, the bear hunts are going on and you may want to wear some visible blaze orange. I'll be out there hunting this weekend, so if you see a guy in an orange vest and an orange hat, stop and introduce yourself.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Also, the Tellico-Citico permit is only required between March 15 - Sept 15.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Its my understanding that there are still some enforcement folks on duty.
    If not, it would be a great time for the poachers

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    If not, it would be a great time for the poachers
    It does make you wonder how the elk population in Cataloochee will be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukejb View Post
    It does make you wonder how the elk population in Cataloochee will be affected.
    I doubt it if anything it will make poaching deep in the park harder to do since the roads are blocked no poacher can drive in there. If they walk all those miles down into the valley and shoot an Elk they wouldn't be able to get it out of there.

UPDATE:
    I just spoke with TVA in Knoxville, they said they are not affected by shutdown and any TVA boat ramps or access will remain open. I also spoke with state park office in Nashville concerning campgrounds everything is open that is under their jurisdiction for example Norris campground. So with some careful planning you should be able to get out on the water somewhere in Tennessee!

If your going to the lake, just make sure it's not a National Forest Service lake. Lake Ocoee in South Cherokee NP is closed due to the two boat ramps being operated by the Forest Service which is closed. Both ramps have locked gates on them right now and there is no public access ramps on the lake. :-(

Doesn't it really seem like a lot of overkill? Like those that are not getting their way up top are calling down and saying shut everything down, make everyone feel the hit so there will be a big outcry?
    I mean barricade the pull offs on the NF Gap road? Come on, what does it cost the gubberment a cent for a few folks to pull over while this is going on? What does it cost for me to launch my own boat at an open COE boat ramp here at home? (The answer to that is $4, which is the fee I have to leave in the dropbox every time I launch, i.e., they MAKE money).
    Sorry, just venting!! I'm sick of this "I, ME, MY" admin in charge up top! It's OUR land, OUR park, OUR rivers. Some of us (albeit a minority) still work hard for these things and pay a heck of a lot of taxes to have them! Do you reckon they will prorate a refund on your taxes for the time you missed in the park this year? Right!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

UPDATE: CHANNEL 8 TV out of knoxville showed a story and posted it on their webpage tonight at 11 pm concerning parts of paek being accessible. Intersting part was nps.gov is still down so not sure how the general population is suppposed to know.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headli...225990901.html