Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reel Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    I recently came into a G Loomis Stream Dance rod. (6 wt., fast action, for high speed line?). It is a much nicer rod than I have ever had, but now I need a reel to go with it. I have never paid more than $50 for a reel so I am out of my element when it comes to finding a reel that matches the rod. Any suggestions?
    Forgot to mention balance after reading some replies. The weight of the reel combined with the weight of the rod makes a huge difference in my opinion. I like a balanced rig for the rod specifications you posted. However; the biggest key is looking at a large arbor to make for a sweet rig.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Default balance

Is there a way to determine if you have a good balance without loading a reel with flyline and putting it on the rod? E.g. a formula or rule of thumb of some kind?

Here is a suggestion... maybe try and find a local fly shop who might have some demo reels rigged up for a 6wt. Try them out on your rod and bring along a little digital scale to weigh the reel. This way you could at least get a weight reference to see if you think you need to go heavier or lighter in order to achieve your desired balance. Also make sure to leave the head out of the rod tip to get the most accurate feel...

Tight Lines,

Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    Is there a way to determine if you have a good balance without loading a reel with flyline and putting it on the rod? E.g. a formula or rule of thumb of some kind?
    Lexfly,
    This is actually something that takes experience with various setups to identify quickly. However; most people should be able to feel the balance of the rod + reel in their hand and see if it is comfortable. Ideally; you want the hand-hold spot to be the (natural) pivot-point of your rod. The rod should feel very neutral while holding at this point (not too heavy in back or front).

You really need to have the reel loaded as well to feel this ideal. Dialing in a balanced rig is not a rule; but, makes a big difference in an elegant cast with efficiency.

Hope this helps and does not confuse. Do not worry too much about it. Do your best and learn. That is the fun part about FF. Nothing is perfect for everyone and all that matters is you have fun safely!
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 01-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Default balance

Thx guys. I figured it was more of a thing you have to experience to know but thought I'd ask. I hadn't thought about taking my rod to the shop to test how it feels. I will do that. Leaning toward the Lamson litespeed 2 at the moment. I have a Ross Flywater 1 for my 3 wt which I love so I will check them, Okuma and the others out as well.

You could put some pennies in a zip lock bag attach this to the butt end of your rod to feel the balance for your rod. Figure the weight of the pennies convert weight for a reel & line . You have it . Personally I like my rod to balance in first 2 or 3 cork rings of my rod. 30 ft of line out the tip will change the balance point.

If you want to try that method, a Nautilus FWX 5/6 with WF6F weighs 5.9 oz. An Orvis large arbor III w/WF-200S weighs 6.4 oz. A Lamson Velocity 2.0 w/WF6F weighs 5.8 oz.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Default balance

Great ideas. I will report back how it works out. If it weren't for this pesky job thing, I could do it now.