Thread: Waders or not?

Default Waders or not?

I am planning a trip to Hazel Creek the second week in May. I have fished Hazel every year, but always in June where I have wet waded. I just hate to have to carry my waders in, but obviously I will if the water will be too cold. Help a brother out- waders or not?

i will be on eagle creek that same week and am not bringing any. it depends on your tolerance. its a little brisk at first but i get used to it pretty quick.
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

Email Punk

One last drift effort

I really appreciate the input! I suppose I will go wader-less as well!

Just cause I'm curious, how are you planning to get across the lake? You hiking in, shuttle from the marina or got your own watercraft? I have a canoe and kayak so we will be paddling in ourselves.
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

Email Punk

One last drift effort

Default Hazel advice

Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    I am planning a trip to Hazel Creek the second week in May. I have fished Hazel every year, but always in June where I have wet waded. I just hate to have to carry my waders in, but obviously I will if the water will be too cold. Help a brother out- waders or not?
    I have been to Hazel in early May, late May, June, July and August. The water will be cold when you are there but I have always waded wet at Hazel. If the air temperature is going to make you cold when you are out of the creek, then I would take waders. The mornings will be chilly. We will be there in June this year. Enjoy your trip. We are counting down the days.

I may be late on this post but "always be prepared." I myself alway have some waders with me just incase, and t.p.. Made that mistake as a kid and thank the scouts I know what posion ivy looks like if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    I may be late on this post but "always be prepared." I myself alway have some waders with me just incase, and t.p.. Made that mistake as a kid and thank the scouts I know what posion ivy looks like if you know what I mean.
    I agree. I carry my waders on every trip just in case. If your waders are neoprene I might not take them simply because you get hot and dehydrate VERY quickly. If water temps. are above about 53 degrees F. then I would probably wet wade.

Hope this helped!

Talking

Waders this time of year is plain silly

The mobility you lose while climbing up a stream can't be worth the trade off of feeling cold water. Yesterday I was standing in the creek just to help me body cool down.

While on the bigger water in early and late season I understand why some choose to do this, but this time of year why one would make this decision is beyond me

But I agree totally with the TP part.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

i completely agree with ducky. no waders, no how. i havent used my waders since the end of march. no way Id pack waders in, no matter how short or long of a hike I had. just my 2 cents.