Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Hair caddis

Default Elk Hair caddis

I am tying a bunch of Elk hair's for May and I can't decide on whether to use white or natural color for the wings. Any thoughts?

Tie some of each just in case.
    "Here fishy fishy."

For what it is worth, I tied a handful of each this weekend along with as many yellow neversinks in size 16.
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Curious – how did the popular caddis pattern come to be called the Neversink here? Elsewhere in the country it’s called a Puterbaugh Caddis, created by Don Puterbaugh, a guide on the Arkansas River. The name Neversink referred to another pattern with foam wrapped around the hook shank.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    Curious – how did the popular caddis pattern come to be called the Neversink here? Elsewhere in the country it’s called a Puterbaugh Caddis, created by Don Puterbaugh, a guide on the Arkansas River. The name Neversink referred to another pattern with foam wrapped around the hook shank.

steve
    We do things here our own way, and the committee met and decided it was a good idea and it was put to a vote at 1:30 AM after several rounds of drinks and the vote passed by a margin of 2-0 with one voter abstaining. Actually, he couldn't even pronounce his own name by then. Next order of business was an intervention on the poor chap.

Actually, I really think nobody in the southern Appalachians can pronounce "Puterbaugh".
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”

I always thought it was named after the neversink river.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I always thought it was named after the neversink river.
    According to Byron, that is not the case. It is named for it's ability to float through rough water without the need to grease it up all of the time.

It is a big producer in the Smokies. I always wondered about the chicken and egg conundrum with this fly. Does it produce more because more people use it? Or, do more people use it because it is a better producer I think it is the latter just from personal experience. I still like to use the conventional caddis flies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
    According to Byron, that is not the case. It is named for it's ability to float through rough water without the need to grease it up all of the time.

It is a big producer in the Smokies. I always wondered about the chicken and egg conundrum with this fly. Does it produce more because more people use it? Or, do more people use it because it is a better producer I think it is the latter just from personal experience. I still like to use the conventional caddis flies too.
    My experience with the neversink is that it does mostly what the name implies. It does great in the riffles, Though I have on occasion had one sink just below the water surface and become a wet fly.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

We do things here our own way, and the committee met and decided it was a good idea and it was put to a vote at 1:30 AM after several rounds of drinks and the vote passed by a margin of 2-0 with one voter abstaining. Actually, he couldn't even pronounce his own name by then. Next order of business was an intervention on the poor chap.

Actually, I really think nobody in the southern Appalachians can pronounce "Puterbaugh".
    I about spit my coffee up reading this... I always thought the name was just one of those self explanatory things. Interesting information!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

This is from James & Angie Marsh's site....

The original Neversink Caddis was a fly designed years
    ago for imitating caddisflies on the Neversink River in New York. This was before anyone knew one caddisfly species from the next. At that time caddisflies were just described as brown ones, green ones, etc. Some fly shops and anglers are still that uneducated when it comes to caddisflies.