Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal fly?

In Don Howell's book I believe if memory serves me correctly that he prefferred to dye quail feathers and if quail weren't available he would use dove. Get the book its very good. Don was the father of Kevin who owns Davidson River Outfitters.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
    In Don Howell's book I believe if memory serves me correctly that he prefferred to dye quail feathers and if quail weren't available he would use dove. Get the book its very good. Don was the father of Kevin who owns Davidson River Outfitters.
    Lynn
    Lynn, I believe the book is out of print now. Could be wrong though. Kevin signed it for me at troutfest a few years ago, and I thought that was what he had told me. Maybe it was someone else standing around his booth at the time. Great book though. I've tied a bunch of flies out of it. There are some woven stoneflies in there that you need about 6 arms to tie.

At a tying demonstration Hugh Hartsell did at LRO several years back, he gave me a few dyed starling feathers. They worked pretty well for a yellow hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    Lynn, I believe the book is out of print now. Could be wrong though. Kevin signed it for me at troutfest a few years ago, and I thought that was what he had told me. Maybe it was someone else standing around his booth at the time. Great book though. I've tied a bunch of flies out of it. There are some woven stoneflies in there that you need about 6 arms to tie.

At a tying demonstration Hugh Hartsell did at LRO several years back, he gave me a few dyed starling feathers. They worked pretty well for a yellow hammer.
    I think that book is a treasure to have. They tried so many unorthidox flies and techniques that most folks just kinda wrote them off. That would be a big mistake.They were persistant and dedicated.
    I've talked to Kevin a couple times and he seems to have taken up the same torch.If anyone has a chance to get a hold of the book should not hesitate.Maybe even call up Kevin to see if he has any.
    Lynn