Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireflies at Elkmont 6/04/14 - 06/11/14

Default Fireflies at Elkmont 6/04/14 - 06/11/14

The shuttles start running today for the synchronous fireflies at the Elkmont Campground. I just called and spoke to a very helpful guy at the Elkmont Campground. He said that the Elkmont access road will be blocked at Little River Road during the period of 06/04/14 till 06/11/14. To get past you will have to have a reservation at the campground or be on one of the trollies.

I didn't asked how that is going to effect backpackers with backcountry camping permits. If you are going backpacking in the area I'd call the Backcountry Office.

In the past, didn't they just close the access road a few hours before dark every night during the firefly deal?

from the backcountry reservation site:

*** From June 4th through June 11th - no overnight parking will be permitted at the Little River Trailhead. Parking for those wishing to access the backcountry via Little River Trail can be found up the hill at the Jakes Creek Trailhead. Also, both the Little River Trail and Jakes Creek Trailheads will close at 5pm daily during this time.

NDuncan,
    Thanks for the clarification. The guy I spoke with this morning made it sound like an all day thing. I spoke with a lady at the backcountry office just now and she confirmed that you could park at the Jakes Creek Trailhead but should be out around 5pm. The trollies would roll in around 8.

Given how crazy it is likely to be, I think I'd just head somewhere else to fish for this week.

If anyone goes up there I'd love some first-hand feedback on how it is working.

Thanks!

Daniel

Im hoping to see these things this year. We have a reservation 6/12-6/16 in Elkmont.. Think itll already be over by then?

In my opinion, I pay just as much as everyone else in taxes to be used to keep the park open for me to use.
    I can understand closing access to the campground but the trail head.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Kris,
    It is all about traffic control. The last time I tried to see the fireflies I went the year before they started the trollies. It took us 2.5 hours....just to get turned around....we never even made it to the bridge by the trailhead. It was insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by flyphish View Post
    Im hoping to see these things this year. We have a reservation 6/12-6/16 in Elkmont.. Think itll already be over by then?
    Not over, but maybe past the peak at the campground area. If you hike up the little river trail it might be really good. I'm going on the 9th (camping) and I'll let you know.

Great! Any reports will be appreciated! I'll be tying firefly imitations and counting the mins until Thursday.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flyphish View Post
    Great! Any reports will be appreciated! I'll be tying firefly imitations and counting the mins until Thursday.
    Nathan is out there tonight. I plan on getting a report from him tomorrow afternoon. Me and the family got a camping spot tomorrow night, but I don't think we will be staying the whole night. I have a report on Wednesday for you

My boys are excited
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com