Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Cave Closing July 1

Default Indian Cave Closing July 1

Just a heads up for those who put in at the cave, but it will be closed to public access starting July 1.

Talking

For the camp that is there? Permanently? Inquiring minds would like to know
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    For the camp that is there? Permanently? Inquiring minds would like to know
    Permanently, it's an insurance issue and I am sure the massive onslaught of people this year led to this happening. It used to be that a boat or two would put in there on any given day. This year it's a total madhouse, and a bunch of the new fangled guides have done some really stupid stuff which doesn't help things.

Well that's too bad. Access is already very limited.

Has anyone ask for permission to launch before using the ramp ? Or did just think it was ok.

Back when we first started guiding on the river in the late 90's, we most certainly stopped and got permission. In addition, we found the shuttle folks that everyone uses now.

Now the latest batch of newbies has rolled into town and Indian Cave is closed shortly after. I am sure as in the past the old school crowd will pave the way and the others will cling on to the work done by the original guides and tailwater fisherman.

This open arms approach to every yahoo with a drift boat and a desire to guide has consequences sadly. I know many on here embrace the idea of the "more the merrier", but cynics like me have experienced the downfalls associated with the masses showing up. I guess after several decades of playing this game, I'm used to this stuff happening.

It does provide comic relief at times, the stories of rookie oarsmen sinking boats, punching holes in boats, drifting past ramps, getting vehicles stuck on ramps, etc etc etc does offer a good laugh though and this year in particular has been an epic display of ineptitude on the river.

I will be in the minority on this, but I for one am glad they closed access. I will take the time, and find access, which for the time being will allow for peace and quiet on the water...again.

Sad. I have launched my canoe there maybe 3 times in the past 10 years and always asked the older gentleman for permission. The last few years , I have just put in at NF and paddled upstream for about an hour and then floated back.
    Guess this means a rate increase from the guides to help cover the cost of private access.

forgive my ignorance, i was unaware it was private. i have only been there once, and though it makes it no better, i didn't see anyone to ask. the trailer on the right looked abandoned (a dude walking his dog around the area and near the trailer helped with that conclusion) and the gate around the trailer on the left was padlocked. i don't recall seeing any signs marking it as private, and as a (former) homeowner, that's something i do respect
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

Email Punk

One last drift effort

I just received a tip that WBIR is possibly running a story this weekend not sure Saturday/Sunday about access on the Holston or lack of it, I think it is supposed to touch on the closing as part of the piece. Will try to nail down time and day of story.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    I just received a tip that WBIR is possibly running a story this weekend not sure Saturday/Sunday about access on the Holston or lack of it, I think it is supposed to touch on the closing as part of the piece. Will try to nail down time and day of story.
    John Becker (WBIR news anchor) is a fly fisherman. I wonder if he'll be doing the report.
    My posts are worthless without pictures