Thread: Back in the Smokys

Default Back in the Smokys

After a year away due to crazy job situations, my wife and I finally got back down to the Smokys this week, it was great to be on the rivers again, although it took me a while to quit stumbling over rocks and tangling my dropper, it's amazing that I caught anything, but even a blind squirrel can find a nut, and speaking of squirrels, I tried fishing for a few but didn't catch any.

This give me an Idea for a dropper. ( actually it was already tied on)

I guess that worked

And another of his buddies

And some more of their stream mates.

And of course no report is complete without a picture of the guardians of the river.

I caught just enough to call it fishing, but I think some of these fish had seen a neversink before, because I had a lot come up for a close look and left with out dining (or maybe my tying). There were a lot of people out fishing and swimming so it was tough to find fresh water. But it was great to be in the mountains again and hopefully it won't be another year until I get down again.
    Tad

It's nice to be back after a long absence. Some nice size rainbows you caught. I need to get back to smokies soon. Thanks for sharing.

Default Nice Fish

I am glad to hear you found some brookies and a nice rainbow. Thanks for sharing.
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tlshealy View Post
    I caught just enough to call it fishing, but I think some of these fish had seen a neversink before, because I had a lot come up for a close look and left with out dining (or maybe my tying)
    2 Words - Frogs Fanny

If your not above the surface tension of the water I think your strike rate will go down to a third and lots of fish will come inspect only to tease you

Awesome report and thanks for posting. Glad your finally getting your Smokies Fix.

I haven't fished in 2 weeks since I've been so busy and already feel like I'm banging my head on the walls.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

[QUOTE=duckypaddler;111657]2 Words - Frogs Fanny

Your right, even the little ones wouldn't look at dry that wasn't on top. I spent more time applying frogs fanny (and untangling droppers ) than I did fishing!
    Tad

Talking

Every time it goes in a fishes mouth you need to re apply. Every time you catch one you need to rinse off in water to get as much slime off it. Then Frogs Fanny it good. If it got deep in the mouth, you need usually apply twice.

I wish I could buy that stuff by the Gallon And I'm sure glad Byron and Daniel tend to stock good quantities of it as the guy usually runs out several times a year

With low water they can really inspect it. Something just isn't right when an animal with a brain the size of a pea outsmarts me on a regular basis
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Thats funny Ducky, but very true!! Tad, nice trip, I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing. It's been a year since I've caught a trout, we're leaving Sat. morning and headed out for 7 days in G-burg. I'll be up in the park more than in town if all goes well and I'm really looking forward to it!!
    On the Frogs Fanny or Gink topic, if I'm using a dropper I find myself having to reapply pretty often. Any good swirl will pull it under and you usually don't have enough room to false cast and help dry it so it feels like I'm always reapplying. Wonder if you could just treat dry flies with something like Snow Seal?
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.