Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Looking for Places for 10-year Olds to Fish near I-75 Corridor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lenoir City, TN
    Posts
    990

    Question Looking for Places for 10-year Olds to Fish near I-75 Corridor

    My cousin in Indiana and I want to get our sons and grandsons together for some semi-serious fishing the weekend of August 22. Does anyone know of any good places located approximately halfway between Knoxville and Indianapolis with family fishing lakes/ponds with boats and trolling motor rentals?

    – JF
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Upper clinch may be out of your way but I've only heard good things.... I've seen it at the sneedville, tn crossing and it looks very fishy .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rugby TN
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Pickett State Park NE of Jamestown may be a good choice.

    They have a 12 acre lake that is stocked with trout and have boats for rent.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    The upper Clinch is not what you're looking for. It's rough going and very rural.

    The only thing that comes to mind would be renting a pontoon boat on Norris, there really aren't any places that I know of who rent boats and motors on a smaller body of water. Canoe rental places are also non existent

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Joe there is a Ky wildlife officer who views this board in fact I think he is In charge of a large project . I think it is Wolf Creek look up via search on here. I have exchanged comments on here a year or so back when I was looking for KY fishing info.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

    "Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

    Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

    http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Joe there is a Ky wildlife officer who views this board in fact I think he is In charge of a large project . I think it is Wolf Creek look up via search on here. I have exchanged comments on here a year or so back when I was looking for KY fishing info.
    Joe, Byron actually has a link to a story on the above gentelemen in today's fishing report. Here is his boardmember name just look under profiles and check out Byron's report, he is with KY wildlife and obvioulsy knows KY and may can help. Good Luck!

    bredmon930
    Member
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ber.php?u=4970
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

    "Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

    Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

    http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    The upper Clinch is not what you're looking for. It's rough going and very rural.
    Sorry Joe,

    I wasn't aware of how rough it is. I haven't personally fished it... Yet .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volfisher View Post
    Sorry Joe,

    I wasn't aware of how rough it is. I haven't personally fished it... Yet .
    It's not white water rough, just rough. The locals are rough and the stream bed is comprised of rocks that were modeled after coral heads. It would shred a normal plastic canoe, and worked many drift boats over back in the days before we wised up and starting using rafts

    The local people are an interesting sort. I've never had any issues but the potential for issues certainly is high. I would never venture up there without several firearms on board

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Waterwolf,

    Now I understand what you mean. I guess I do learn something new everyday .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lenoir City, TN
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backtrax View Post
    Pickett State Park NE of Jamestown may be a good choice.
    They have a 12 acre lake that is stocked with trout and have boats for rent.
    Pickett looks like the best bet this time. Thanks, Backtrax.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Joe, Byron actually has a link to a story on the above gentelemen in today's fishing report. Here is his boardmember name just look under profiles and check out Byron's report, he is with KY wildlife and obvioulsy knows KY and may can help. Good Luck!

    bredmon930
    Member
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ber.php?u=4970
    I'm looking forward to the New Creek project being completed by Brad (bredmon930) and company.

    bigsur, thanks for sharing.

    Post by Brad on thread begun by Mac "New Creek Project @ Wolf Creek Dam"
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...3&postcount=13

    Entire thread
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=17295

    Thanks to the rest for assisting.

    – JF
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 01:46 PM
  2. Best fish of the year...??
    By tnflyfisher in forum Photography
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 11:27 PM
  3. 4 year olds fishing trip
    By russ in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
  4. places to fish this weekend
    By SHRGuide in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
  5. Best Places to Fly Fish
    By 15yroldflyfisher in forum Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 11:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •