View Poll Results: Do you think the "Rocky Top" Venture will affect the Clinch River?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think the river will suffer immensely from this project.

    7 46.67%
  • I am not sure how it will affect the river.

    5 33.33%
  • I could care less how it affects the river.

    3 20.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Rocky Top, TN-Death of The Lower Clinch Tailwater?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Townsend, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Thank you Shawn for your kind reply.

    You and Jim contribute much more to this message board than I do. I was hoping that I didn't offend you guys. I, and a lot of other people, look forward to the valuable information you both have to offer. In my opinion, you two are experts in our sport. And, you are both very passionate about conservation, something very important, in which we all need to be better activists.

    I was really worried I upset you guys. I feel a lot better now.

    Thanks,

    Byron

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    knoxville tn
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Waterwolf, sorry, I haven't been here much lately and missed your question.

    It was several years back, when I first bought my canoe. I paddled up coal creek a bit just to see what i could see. There was a bit of an oil slick coming from upstream, though the sheen was very light. I don't know if its a reoccurring deal as I don't go that way very often
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

    Email Punk

    One last drift effort

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    Waterwolf, sorry, I haven't been here much lately and missed your question.

    It was several years back, when I first bought my canoe. I paddled up coal creek a bit just to see what i could see. There was a bit of an oil slick coming from upstream, though the sheen was very light. I don't know if its a reoccurring deal as I don't go that way very often
    77punk,
    Next time you paddle up that creek; notice the lack of bugs, insects, and fish...

    Note: it is a warm water creek, so there are mostly hardy/resilient fish in that area as well. Of-course; there are the 100-200 school of carp always at the mouth and the 2-3 schools of striper that patrol right behind them...and the a few muskies up in the creek. However; you will notice the creek is almost always very clear with limited activity after the first 100 feet or so...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    Waterwolf, sorry, I haven't been here much lately and missed your question.

    It was several years back, when I first bought my canoe. I paddled up coal creek a bit just to see what i could see. There was a bit of an oil slick coming from upstream, though the sheen was very light. I don't know if its a reoccurring deal as I don't go that way very often

    A lot of that could easily come from I 75, it funnels right in the creek a mile or so above the river.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    77punk,
    Next time you paddle up that creek; notice the lack of bugs, insects, and fish...

    Note: it is a warm water creek, so there are mostly hardy/resilient fish in that area as well. Of-course; there are the 100-200 school of carp always at the mouth and the 2-3 schools of striper that patrol right behind them...and the a few muskies up in the creek. However; you will notice the creek is almost always very clear with limited activity after the first 100 feet or so...
    I gotta disagree on the fish in Coal Creek. I grew up wading coal creek in the summers and have fished it as recently as 2 years ago all the way into lake city. It is full of smallmouth, redeye, and bream. None of those species could survive without good insect populations, and the bigger indicator species is crayfish which are plentiful.

    Painting Coal Creek as a toxic waste land is not accurate, sure it dumps mud after heavy rains but what doesn't?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    A lot of that could easily come from I 75, it funnels right in the creek a mile or so above the river.


    I gotta disagree on the fish in Coal Creek. I grew up wading coal creek in the summers and have fished it as recently as 2 years ago all the way into lake city. It is full of smallmouth, redeye, and bream. None of those species could survive without good insect populations, and the bigger indicator species is crayfish which are plentiful.

    Painting Coal Creek as a toxic waste land is not accurate, sure it dumps mud after heavy rains but what doesn't?
    Jim,
    I have caught smallmouth and some bream in there as well. I actually landed a smallmouth on a fly once at the mouth of Coal Creek. I have noticed good populations of minnows and a few fish I could not identify.

    I am not trying to disparage Coal Creek. I want to bring the point up that I personally feel it could use some attention. I think it could use some political attention and be utilized as prideful asset to our area. Right now; it is unsettling when you drive along bluff road.

    I will try and add some pictures from my last walk up the creek to add some clarity. Thank you for your input. I respect your comments, passion, and knowledge of the area and its impact on our natural resources.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Jim,
    I have caught smallmouth and some bream in there as well. I actually landed a smallmouth on a fly once at the mouth of Coal Creek. I have noticed good populations of minnows and a few fish I could not identify.

    I am not trying to disparage Coal Creek. I want to bring the point up that I personally feel it could use some attention. I think it could use some political attention and be utilized as prideful asset to our area. Right now; it is unsettling when you drive along bluff road.

    I will try and add some pictures from my last walk up the creek to add some clarity. Thank you for your input. I respect your comments, passion, and knowledge of the area and its impact on our natural resources.
    In the same breath, I'm not trying to paint Coal Creek up as some pristine jewel of East TN. The trash in the stream along the road you mention is pathetic, and should be addressed. Also the creek could use some bank stabilization work through town.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,109

    Default Rocky Top's first product: The Clinch River Milkshake

    If anyone tried to fish PO last Saturday [09/06/2014]; they were in for a big surprise. There has been some construction projects going on in Rocky Top/L.C. and they gave off a little present for the river. I sure hope those contractors are following stream/water protection methods.




    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    For as long as I've been fishing the Clinch which is pushing 30 years now, it always turns that color after heavy rains in either Cane Creek or Coal Creek. This is nothing new and most seasoned clinch fisherman relish the days of mud water to wreak havoc on the trout which can be tough on the normally gin clear water days.

    There is no ill affects of the water getting muddy as 2 generator flows purge the majority of the lingering silt.

    I'd love to see the East TN river that doesn't get muddy following heavy rain events, after a lifetime of fishing this area I've yet to find one.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    For as long as I've been fishing the Clinch which is pushing 30 years now, it always turns that color after heavy rains in either Cane Creek or Coal Creek. This is nothing new and most seasoned clinch fisherman relish the days of mud water to wreak havoc on the trout which can be tough on the normally gin clear water days.

    There is no ill affects of the water getting muddy as 2 generator flows purge the majority of the lingering silt.

    I'd love to see the East TN river that doesn't get muddy following heavy rain events, after a lifetime of fishing this area I've yet to find one.
    Jim,
    I agree that the creek bleeds mud with the onset of heavy rains in the Coal Creek Watershed. However; the runoff from this past Saturday was probably the thickest I have witnessed in a decade or so....I feel it coincides with current construction runoff from RT. I would just like to feel confident typical environmental mitigation measures are taking place with current and future RT construction projects.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryville
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Have they started the construction of this yet? I haven't seen where any large parcels of land have transferred around Rocky Top and have presumed it hasn't been started.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Huge Brown Trout on the Clinch with Rocky Top Anglers
    By Breck in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 09:28 PM
  2. I know where the fish in the lower Clinch are!
    By Flat Fly n in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
  3. Lower Clinch?
    By CinciVol in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
  4. Tough fishing on lower Clinch
    By fourx in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 08:51 AM
  5. Death of a local tailwater legend
    By Flat Fly n in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •