Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you use?

Question What would you use?

If you could only use one rod to fish the Smokies, what size would it be? If you could only have one fly for the Smokies, what would it be?

Personally, I love my 3wt 7'6" rod and the green weenie seems to work better for me. It does have a bright yellow/green almost neon color line that I have thought of replacing but other than that I like my 3wt. I don't have any issues with the line itself but I have wondered if the wild color of it is hurting my fishing. Although I suspect my casting probably hurts me more than the color of the line :-) What would you use?

hNt

PS perhaps I've got to much time on my hands and just need to go fishing huh? LOL

9' 3-weight. Size 14 caddis fly in electric orange. Line color doesn't matter, its the false casts and shadow that put down fish.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    PS perhaps I've got to much time on my hands and just need to go fishing huh? LOL
    I wish I had some time on my hands just so I could go fishing.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I am using a 9' 6wt TFO right now and love it, I think I would prefer and 8' 3 or 4 weight for the mountains. Just because the mountain trout do not stand much a chance against a 6 weight. I prefer more of a fight.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

My go-to mountain stream rod is a 7'9" TFO Finesse in a 3WT throwing a DT4F line. The fly I fish more often than anything else when I'm in the mountains would be a #14 Irresistible Wulff. Of course, it'd be hard to go wrong with a #14 yellow Neversink as an alternative.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

I've used 9" 5-6w, 8 1/2 5w, 8' 5w, 7 1/2 4-5w, and I've often thought about building a custom 6 1/2 4w just to keep me out of the branches. I usually always nymph, thus the longer, heavier weight rods. I've never really seen a good hatch except for the midges and then it was too hard to breathe to fish it. The trout weren't paying any attention anyway.

Perhaps a 9 or 10 footer with a small battery operated (and very quiet) circular saw attachment would be appropriate. LOL! And by the way, a clear transparent fly line is the ticket for any water. Just my opinion.
    Whitefeather

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

My choice would be my TenkaraUSA Rhodo with furled line. The fly I would use would be size 14 yellow stimi, although I don't fish them.

An 8'6 4 wt. Also, a #16-18 royal wulff prince nymph.

9' 5 weight rod and a Gold-ribbed Hares Ear nymph from #10-#16.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

"Avery" my 7' 9" Sage VXP 4 weight that my dad made me matched with a Lamson Lightspeed with my own fly, The Whiskey River on the other end of the line!
    "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"