Thread: clinch 7/27

Default clinch 7/27

So I saw the tornado watch for all day. I felt the constant 20 mph breeze, and Heard they were blowing 2 generators all afternoon. So I decided to go fishing. I started at about 2 pm and went right to the dam. I hate the dam with no generators...its as close to lake fishing for trout as I have done. However there is a killer seam that beckons to be fished along the rip rap when the water is on heavy. I started at the bottom of the seam with my usual 2 generator setup. A thingamabobber, a flashy nymph, a midge larva, and a big friggin split shot. Almost immediately I got a strike... and missed... that was followed by another strike and a 12 in brook trout. Not long after that I followed up with the prettiest brook I have ever caught from the clinch. Beautiful orange belly, white tipped fins, and to top it off a black mouth. I was quite surprised to say the least. I ended up catching half a dozen fish, some on a frenchie and some on a zebra. One rainbow was over 14 inches, very fat, and took line off my 3 weight like it was his job. At 4:15 the ominous clouds, non stop thunder, and bad looking radar on my phone made me quit, earlier than I wanted I will say... but all in all it was a fun 2 hours, and goes to show that even on 2 generators there is some good fishing to be had.

My dad and I have been to the clinch twice (once at miller's island and once at the jail). We had a couple rises (refuses?) on small sulphurs. Are there any tips that you can give? We have 9 ft 5x leaders with 1-2 ft of 6x tippet. We also have some zebra midges and other small various midges given to us by people on the river and thingamabobbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    So I saw the tornado watch for all day. I felt the constant 20 mph breeze, and Heard they were blowing 2 generators all afternoon. So I decided to go fishing. I started at about 2 pm and went right to the dam. I hate the dam with no generators...its as close to lake fishing for trout as I have done. However there is a killer seam that beckons to be fished along the rip rap when the water is on heavy. I started at the bottom of the seam with my usual 2 generator setup. A thingamabobber, a flashy nymph, a midge larva, and a big friggin split shot. Almost immediately I got a strike... and missed... that was followed by another strike and a 12 in brook trout. Not long after that I followed up with the prettiest brook I have ever caught from the clinch. Beautiful orange belly, white tipped fins, and to top it off a black mouth. I was quite surprised to say the least. I ended up catching half a dozen fish, some on a frenchie and some on a zebra. One rainbow was over 14 inches, very fat, and took line off my 3 weight like it was his job. At 4:15 the ominous clouds, non stop thunder, and bad looking radar on my phone made me quit, earlier than I wanted I will say... but all in all it was a fun 2 hours, and goes to show that even on 2 generators there is some good fishing to be had.
    I've been wondering how and were to fish when they're generating. Just never went and played around and figured something out