Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for back country requested

Campsite 70 or 69 would be great on Forney. You can catch a slam in that area too. If you hike in from the bottom it's not too bad.. I'd consider doing both sites if you are going to be out there for a couple of days.

Everybody, thanks. I'll have to get my trail maps out and start planning it out. I have one of those waterproof Nat Geo trail maps plus my handheld GPS has topo for the Smoky Mtn area.

This is going to be fun assuming a 54 year old guy can keep up with a 19 year old college kid.

Just made reservations at 23! Will give a full report.

There is actually an island before you get to the campsite....be sure to walk back down and fish up the right hand side...also, as you hike in there is a bluff where the trail narrows and you are high above the Fish Camp Prong....go back and fish up through this section...was always a favorite of my grandfather and uncle....has some flat water in it that offers some good dry fly fishing....spent a lot of time up there when you were able to drive up to the forks of the river....them good old days. Really too much good water up there to choose from...good luck and let us know how you do.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes. We had a great trip. Hiked up to 23. What wonderful water. In fact, after the rains and thunderstorm all night Monday and much of the morning Tuesday, there may have been too much water if that's possible. Some of it was pretty hard and fast and a little stained.

We still managed a few brookies and some rainbows about a mile downstream from camp. We're going ack to that spot again in the future.

8 mile hike with great looking water the whole way. A fellow could spend his entire life fishing that water and probably not hit it all.

Below are some photos from our trip and journey.

well-fed little rainbow.

a few more pics

Looks like a great trip. I took a break at that same rock on my hike in. Saw a bear at that rock on my hike out.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Jeff,

I am glad you had a good trip. I worried about the rain on your behalf but it turned out to be fine. I was hoping you didn't back out after seeing the forecast. I guess you didn't take your Martin guitar with you. I didn't see it in any of the pictures.

Byron