Thread: New leech pattern (at least for me)

Default New leech pattern (at least for me)

Been working on some warm water flies for smallies and I've hit on one that at least looks good to me.

Not sure if trout will go for it but looks nice and slimy (and delicious) when wet:

This is a size 4 for bass, and all I had was rusty orange, but thinking black on a size 12 hook may be a winner for trout.

Basically tied some sculpin wool on for a tail then dubbed more of the same for the body and brushed out/slicked back.
    Last edited by Slider; 09-30-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Reduced image size

Hey Slider,

I think that pattern looks awesome. I would tie it in black too. I fish for smallmouth bass almost exclusively these days. I'm going to tie some of those. You might also consider using a jig hook and weight the shank with lead. That works pretty well for me with Wooly Buggers and the hook rides up.

Someone was asking me about a leech pattern this week.

Byron

Looks like a winner to me. I like Capt Byron's idea of the jig hooks. I have been experimenting with the new jig hooks and slotted bead heads. They let me skip adding lead to the hook shank. Which is helpful if you are tying smaller flies or want to keep the profile slimmer.
    Last edited by flyman; 10-04-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thanks guys. I'll try th jig hook.

I also posted on Alabam River Fishing and one of those those guys said it looks like a simi seal leech, so I Googled that and sure nuff, looks very much like one. I think the sculpin wool may be cheaper and makes a good looking fly.

Byron, I also fish for smallies almost exclusively. That's all I target locally (NW AL) but it's hard to keep the rock bass off.

Rabbit strips work really well for leeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll try th jig hook.

I also posted on Alabam River Fishing and one of those those guys said it looks like a simi seal leech, so I Googled that and sure nuff, looks very much like one. I think the sculpin wool may be cheaper and makes a good looking fly.

If you get a chance, try the Simi Seal material sometime. I love it and tie a ton of Simi Seal leeches, particularly for use on panfish in local ponds and lakes. In the small sizes a bh Simi Seal Leech is tough to beat for bluegill and crappie.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

yep! that was me on the Alabama board i should add that the bling leech is also another good one! simi seal and dubbing in general has become a favorite for lots of my streamer patterns!