Thread: What about Fall.

Default What about Fall.

I try to get to GSMNP in May or June every year but that got sunk this year and now I'm thinking about October (more or less). I can see the Fall Colors and maybe hear some Elk. On the fishing- how is it in the Fall ? what type and places would be best? Creeks up in the mountains for trout? The lower elevations for smallies? If you had to pick a place and species for around October- what fish and what places? Thanks for any help? I like GSMNP but if better fishing is nearby- I'm all ears.

Trout in the park bite well in October and so do smallmouth in rivers or lakes. You should have good success with either of those choices, especially earlier into october. Wild trout bite best for me when it's fairly warm outside

Early October is my favorite. The leaves haven't changed so you don't have the crowds, cooler temps, and not as many leaves in the river. The elk will probably be bulging better earlier than late. All the species of fish should be biting good at all the regular spots. If you are wanting to avoid the mass confusion of Cataloochie during the elk breeding season and don't mind a drive outside the park, consider going to the Royal Blue elk viewing tower. Google should give you directions. The elk there aren't as tame as Cataloochie, but there's not a line a cars near as long either.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Well that's good news, I was afraid I missed out for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem View Post
    Well that's good news, I was afraid I missed out for the year.
    You won't regret it. Fall is a wonderful time to be here.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Not to hijack the original thread but how about early November in the park? Being from "up north", I have some questions that may seem obvious to most of you folks. Are the leaves still on the trees and near peak at that time? If so, is the park a mess with tourists? Is the fishing good? Should I concentrate on the Cherokee National Forest or elsewhere to avoid crowds? I want to catch a few fish and I'd love to see the Smokies "in full bloom" so to speak but I'd rather avoid the crowds.

I'm currently building myself a new flintlock rifle and thought that maybe I'd use it at my brother's new place in Tennessee this fall when your muzzleloader season comes in and I may as well kill two birds with one stone and do a backpacking overnighter into Cherokee or GSMNP while I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by GANGGREEN View Post
    Not to hijack the original thread but how about early November in the park? Being from "up north", I have some questions that may seem obvious to most of you folks. Are the leaves still on the trees and near peak at that time? If so, is the park a mess with tourists? Is the fishing good? Should I concentrate on the Cherokee National Forest or elsewhere to avoid crowds? I want to catch a few fish and I'd love to see the Smokies "in full bloom" so to speak but I'd rather avoid the crowds.
    The leaves are usually in peak about mid October. That will also vary with weather and elevations. Usually, but early to mid November it is done.

As for crowds and traffic, yes, they are bad especially in the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area. Of course they are bad year round anyway. Your best bet is to stay out of that area. The national forest is not usually too bad, definitely not as bad as the park.

OK, I've got an area in the national forest in mind that I'd like to check out so that may be what I try to do.

Thanks for the info.