Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday-January 1-2016 It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Default Friday-January 1-2016 It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We had a traditional Tennessee Thanksgiving with all the things that make up a TN holiday, a police report with gun play involved, alcohol fueled threats against in-laws and of course teenage first cousins declaring "We'uns is gettin married no matter what the law says!" All in all another great kickoff to the holidays in Tennessee!

However the big news today is this is the first official announcement for 2016:
    Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition!

Yes, the New Year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have aged terribly.

Hard to believe, it's that time again! The last few years my New Year's day tradition for the next year's fishing karma is to go fish on the first day of the year. The amount of time fishing or number of casts does not matter, it's simply getting a line wet at least once on New Year's Day and setting the tone for the coming year!

This is the fourth year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2016. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fools gathering for a minute of casting and telling tall tales and outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

Just like last year in addition to hot dog's on the grill with fixin's, and hot coffee, Santa may even bring a 10 x 10 pop up canopy for those of a weaker nature to huddle under again! Why even the Mr. Buddy heater may make an appearance again like last year.

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, as tradition demands, we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have!

This hat has never been officially worn by Lefty Kreh, Robert Clouser, or any respectable angler!

The winner gets even more, just ask Kris from the LRO message board as the dubious champion last year! He also received a take home gift from our friends at Armour ("Who want nothing to do with this event and advised us to stop using their name through their attorneys "Holdem & Squeezem!") a gift wrapped 6 pack of America's finest Vienna sausage. Every anglers dream lunch on the water!

So saddle up and get ready, New Year's day falls on a Friday this year, get your karma on for 2016 and still make it home in time to see your favorite football team!
    Last edited by bigsur; 11-27-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

I have good news for those gathering again with us or coming for the first time to"Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition". Last night at the Little River TU meeting long time LRO message board member Stana Claus, informed me he was going to prepare his soon to be famous gumbo! As a Louisiana native he obviously makes the best gumbo around, if you are not sure just ask him.

This continues on the path to an ongoing effort to class up the joint at Metcalf Bottoms on New Year's Day. Last year Mike B and his wife, along with others brought a smorgasbord of food to augment the free hot dog's and fixins we always provide. I want to make clear this is in no way an attempt to quell some of the reports in years past of finding streamers in the slaw. Those rumors were dispersed after we used our fingers to probe the slaw before serving it last year!

Just 29 days to go so make plans to join us for a few minutes or a few hours on New Year's day and get your "fishin" karma on for 2016! Bring the family, bring the dog or just yourself; it's free and a great way to spend the afternoon before the football games start!
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-04-2015 at 07:58 PM.

One of these years I am going to make it. I'm on call this year so please post pictures. The TN Buckeye candies still suck; stick with Kraut Dogs.

-Matt-

Matt you were just at the Phillips 66 and you mean you did not get a TN Buckeye?? For shame!
    We will absolve you of your transgression this time! Anybody who can convince their wife that it makes perfect sense to fish and camp in December and will be back on Monday has my admiration and a good attorney!
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-12-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Quoted from Bigsur: "This hat has never been officially worn by Lefty Kreh, Robert Clouser, or any respectable angler!"

As the inaugural "winner" of this hat, and being present at subsequent Karma days, I can attest that the hat has never been on the head of any respectable angler.

Also, the vienna sausages prize must be magical because I put them in the pantry, and there are still the same number of cans as I started with, so they must reproduce. Surely somebody is eating them, right? Right?
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Anybody who can convince their wife that it makes perfect sense to fish and camp in December and will be back on Monday has my admiration and a good attorney!
    Since he ACTUALLY goes fishing, he won't need the good attorney

Although if you told the same story......

Not a stranger on the internet would believe you, let alone a X-wife
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Ducky we missed you today, we got an early start on 2016 "Fishin Karma" ! Matt, Thunderhead8 , Tnflyfisher and I just crawled out of the park at dark. Big fun, 70 degrees, cigars, and fish in hand, made it hard to believe it is 12 days to Christmas! Even ran into Dances With Trout yesterday! Good food at the Monte Real in Townsend with a cold mug made a perfect end to two days of Smokies fishing! God bless us all Tiny Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
    Quoted from Bigsur: "This hat has never been officially worn by Lefty Kreh, Robert Clouser, or any respectable angler!"
    As the inaugural "winner" of this hat, and being present at subsequent Karma days, I can attest that the hat has never been on the head of any respectable angler.

Also, the vienna sausages prize must be magical because I put them in the pantry, and there are still the same number of cans as I started with, so they must reproduce. Surely somebody is eating them, right? Right?
    Thunderhead8,
    Vienna sausage is exactly like Spam and fruitcakes, there is only one! It stays in your pantry or fridge until it is regifted to someone else. However we did receive a .verbal from Stanta Claus he was going to make his famous cajun gumbo this year.That should class Metcalf Bottoms up a notch from the usual hot dog and fixins and make this a three course dinner counting chips!

INow that Santa has delivered his gifts to all the children and my friends have received their lumps of coal, it's time to get ready for New Years Day! The forecast is showing dry that day, so fingers crossed and hoping so! Join us for an afternoon of food and fun at Metcalf Bottoms on January 1, 2016. Get your fishing karma on for the new year while we grill, chill and spend time with new and old friends. We will provide the dogs and fixins, hot coffee, cold Mountain Dew, we will even loan you a rod to make your New Year's day cast from the bank or middle of the stream. Just make sure you bring your fishing license and favorite beverage! All are welcome, bring a friend. bring the family, bring your dog, room for all at Big Sur's New Year's Day Fishin for Karma 2016!
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-27-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Well, I plan to spend amateur night (New Year's eve) at home watching football, sipping a Kentucky product, and maybe tying a couple of critters to drown at Metcalf Bottoms on Friday. How about you?
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It