Thread: Furled Leaders?

Lightbulb Furled Leaders?

Anyone experienced at making and fishing furled leaders? I made a jig and I have tried about 5 times to make them but keep getting a memory mess. I have braided leaders down. However; the furled leaders still are giving me a headache.

Anyone fish them on the tailwaters?

Pros and Cons?

Reference: http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-bett...furled-leaders

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I started fishing furled leaders last year. I will fish with nothing else. Buying tapered leaders was getting too expensive for me and went with furled and just tippet. Furled leaders so far have lasted well and are not that expensive.

I have bought from both Streamside and Cutthroat. Streamside is a bit cheaper and the guy that makes them is a great guy. Google for both and check them out.

Default leaders

Shawn I have been making furled leaders about 6 years, Email me at hudson8312@comcast.net and I will try and help you with your problems. Look forward to hearing from you, Bill
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.It's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by drag line View Post
    Shawn I have been making furled leaders about 6 years, Email me at hudson8312@comcast.net and I will try and help you with your problems. Look forward to hearing from you, Bill
    JayR,
    Thanks for your input. I like the idea of being more self reliant and creating custom leaders. I still plan on using the long tapered leaders for midge fishing the slack waters of the Clinch. But, I like the idea of being able to make my own backups as well.

Bill,
    Thank you so much bud. My biggest problem right now is sliding the loops off the pegs and using the drill to furl the setup. I am getting uneven tension and memory loops. Usually around the end hook. I have tried different tensions and speeds and watched tons of YouTube Videos. I may and try videoing my experiment this week and see if you guys can see what I am fumbling.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”