Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp fishing

Default Carp fishing

Just started the carp thing as a true fishing adventure. I have been trying to set up a combo for these fish and this is what I came up with. A 9' 6" Winston b3x 7wt with a nautilus ccf x2 with sa wf 7 wt line. What are some of your setups and do you think this one is a good setup that I have?
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I am sure that rig will work just fine. I don't have a designated carp setup, but use my larger bass rods in the 6-8wt sizes. I do think that a 9-10ft rod is better if you are doing more of the sneak up from behind and high stick a nymph or small cray-fish imitation in front of them technique. less likely of spooking them with the flyline and your own presence. I recently got a 10ft 8wt. BVK that I plan on using a lot this year for both bass and the occasional carp.

Great. That was my concerns that the 7 wt might not be stout enough. Any fly suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
    Great. That was my concerns that the 7 wt might not be stout enough. Any fly suggestions?

I would say the best crayfish pattern that I have ever used for carp has been an olive Whitlock Near-nuff crayfish. I have caught them on white woolly buggers and foam beetle patterns if I can find one sipping bugs near the surface (trash lines) in deeper water and eddys.
    Munger and a few others that spend a lot of time pursuing them would be a better resource on carp fishing than me.

Great thanks trout man I have been told anything pink works good as well. So far brown with yellow leg wooly bugger has been my go to

I thank an 8wt. or 9 wt. would be better. Caught an 11 pounder and a 8 pounder off my dock. My 9wt ugly stick fly rod had all it wanted. Yes Mike I said Ugly Stick. The one time I wasn't using a TFO.

Paul what's up. I was wondering where you been. You know the areas I am looking at to fish. This seven I have is for single hand steelehead so it should work. I can't believe you used anything other than a tfo.

I am starting the Carp Quest to say too. I am planing on using a 8wt due to the size of the crap I have been seeing in a local lake/flats in my area.

Here is a page that might help.

http://www.flycarpin.com/p/how-to.html
    To Fish or not to Fish? That's a stupid question.

http://www.tu.org/

I have a friend who chases carp on a regular basis. he also uses a eight wt rod I feel the 9 1/2 Foot seven weight will be equivalent at least I hope it will be

Sounds like it should work Mike. Maybe one of those big hog carp won't take your flyline to Montgomery. Hey, Chuck Gene and my son and I are hitting the mountains Thursday, Friday and Saturday.