Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday-January 1-2017-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Default Sunday-January 1-2017-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

However.... the big news today is this is the first official announcement for 2017:
    Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition!

Yes, the new year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have deteriorated and aged terribly.

Hard to believe, it's that time again! The last few years my New Year's Day tradition for the next year's fishing karma is to go fish on the first day of the year. The amount of time fishing or number of casts does not matter, it's simply getting a line wet at least once on New Year's Day, Sunday January 1st, 2017 and setting the tone for the coming year!

This is the fifth year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day Tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2017. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fanatics gathering for a minute of casting, telling tall tales, outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

Just like last year in addition to hot dog's on the grill with fixin's, and hot coffee, Santa may even bring a 10 x 10 pop up canopy for those of a weaker nature to huddle under again! Why even the Mr. Buddy heater may make an appearance again like last year.

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, as tradition demands, we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have!
    This past year was the 100th year old birthday of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park; join us as we welcome the next 100 years and celebrate the coming year on New Year’s Day, Sunday January 1st, 2017 at Metcalf Bottoms off Little River Rd.

This hat has never been officially worn by Lefty Kreh, Robert Clouser, or any respectable angler! "You could be next!"
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-16-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

I will be there is at all possible. That's one nice hat.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Talking

I will be there as usual. Guys this casting for Karma WORKS! I went last year and had a blast. I fished for a bit with a young newcomer to the sport and giving him some advice. Wouldn't you know it, two days later I went back up and caught my biggest park Brown (16 inches).
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Kris,
    Thanks for your testimony of Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition! Kris was our Herb's Welding Shop winner 2 years ago and last year after attending again caught some of his biggest fish of the year in the park. Just like Rogaine will give you hair like Stalin, this event is 100% almost guaranteed to improve your fishing.

Ask Weston C. last year's winner, who just days later won the blindfold round of the "IRON MAN FLY CONTEST"! See his picture below as he receives the 2nd prize as Grand Winner 2016, a six pack of America's finest meat product or by products. Join us on Sunday, January 1, 2017; New Year's Day and maybe you can win the "IRON MAN FLY CONTEST 2017" on January 19th, 2017 at the Blackhorse Pub!

"Nothing Spells American Pride Like Armour's Vienna Sausages!"

Now that ^ is a classic photograph

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Now that ^ is a classic photograph
    I agree. I was wanting a shot of him close up on the face with the cigar so I could etch it with the engraver. I need ideas and i'll make something

My fishing trips this year could be counted on both hands so I obviously need some good karma

Maybe I could even catch the smallest fish

Anyone know how to catch Darters? The only way I know of is electrofishing, and Matt and Caleb won't let me borrow the shockers

And don't despair about not keeping the hat. Foamie Friends will be providing trophies for Biggest Fish and Best Lie that you can proudly display in you mancave
    Last edited by duckypaddler; 12-20-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

Preliminary Trophy

Still gonna add a fly rod and a fish pic as well as resize most of text, but should convey my point. If John gained 30-40 pounds it might just even look like him

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Preliminary Trophy

Still gonna add a fly rod and a fish pic as well as resize most of text, but should convey my point. If John gained 30-40 pounds it might just even look like him

That alone is enough to get my *** up there.

This get together sounds like fun. The though of eating cold gelatinous canned meat products might automatically disqualify me from the contest though
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

ducky,
    You have truly outdone yourself this time (he has not heard that since his wedding night!)! Your award has elevated this event to a level of class that we are totally uncomfortable with, but do not worry we will probably get mud on it at some point.

I am however disappointed in the artist rendition ( I looked that word up) of me, if possible please use the most recent picture below from last week of me. If unable no worries we will go with what you have and label it as an age progressive photo(looked that word up too..) like the authorities use. It will also confuse them in any resulting melee where suspect identification may be required!

AS BIGSUR SEES HIMSELF AFTER ADULT LIBATIONS(use in sentence: "they steadily worked their way through free food and the occasional libation"!)