Thread: Fishing Cades Cove

Default Fishing Cades Cove

Anyone ever fished the streams in cades cove? Like the one up parsons branch road or the larger one you cross on the loop?

Default Years ago,,,

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    Anyone ever fished the streams in cades cove? Like the one up parsons branch road or the larger one you cross on the loop?
    Back in the Reagan years when the president appointed James Watt to Secretary of the Interior, one winter Watts closed off vehicle to Cades Cove. At the time I was writing a lot of deer, bear and other hunting stories. Back then too, selling such articles required lots of b/w photography support. Unlike today, back then good wildlife photo helped ensure the sell of copy.

Cades Cove was perfect for getting decent photos of bucks, groundhog, bobcat, bear & turkey. That winter when Cades Cove's roads were closed, we would hike and pretty much lived in the middle of Cades Cove. We had the place to oursleves.

On several occasions we fished the stream on the lower end of the middle of Cades Cove, and had success, especially with brown trout. Then the stream was not good wade fishing. However, having fished waters this size, and which looked a lot like in Yellowstone, we applied the techniques used there in Cades Cove. The best luck we had as in the meadows where only a few trees grew adjacent to the creek and the slow moving water had numerous deeply hewed undercut banks.

Standing a good distance back behind the undercut, we cast 'hopper patterns. Despite it being winter, the hopper patterns worked well. It's been a while since I fished the center of Cades Cove, but I do strongly believe this is the best time to give it a shot.

Thanks for the information. Have you ever fished the stream around the picnic area? Or the one toward parson branch that runs near the road?

The stream next to the picnic area is Anthony creek. It is next up to be restored for brookies. I have fished it a couple of years ago and it is pretty skinny.

Just was wondering about these streams, I never see anyone fishing them.

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    Just was wondering about these streams, I never see anyone fishing them.

Fishing Anthony creek through the picnic area is difficult due to all the people in the creek when it's warm. The fish in it are not very big either.

Didn't think about the people but your right about that. Been looking for some easy access shallow stuff to take my 13 year old that's not very challenging

West Prong

Take him up around Metcalf Bottoms or Elkmont Campground.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Alc609 I have fished from Abrams Falls all the way up into Anthony Creek plus Mill Creek and up past Forge Creek Turnaround. Very small water up Mill and Forge Creek but as always it's fun. There are many pools which hold trout up Mill Creek and Forge Creek.

Abrams Creek from the waterfall to the CCLR is very nice. The Horseshoes are classic bucket list areas, however once you commit, you are commmited unless of course you return the way you came, go cross country or pass on fishing and just wade the stream. The geology is interesting in lower Cade's Cove with springs and limestone. This aids the water in its acid/base balance and therefore the water is balanced for more healthy aquatic insects and trout.

Abrams Creek through the middle of the Cove is hit and miss. Although the steam is small I have landed many 12" rainbows along the creek. One day I was there when they were cutting hay and grasshoppers were everywhere! I tied a pattern on and the fishing was great.

From Sparks Lane and up, the stream is small and I have not had much luck there until I got way above the picnic area on Anthony Creek. In Anthony Creek without rain it's an opportunity to go pools.

Thats my experience on the streams in the Cove.

jeff
    ----Jeff Wadley