Thread: Smokies Mid February

Smile Smokies Mid February

This year I had only gotten out for 2 days. I started the year off right in the Smokies, thanks to BigSur, but besides an exiting trip down Elkmont after the good rains a few weeks ago, I had been neglecting to get out. Finally on Monday I was free, and while there is always plenty of work to do, there was nothing pressing, and I called out to Freddie to see if he wanted to fish. I have been so overwhelmed with trying to grow my business, as well as work on several new products, that I haven't even checked the generation schedules lately. I just knew I needed to get out and didn't care where. I figured it would be 1 of the 4 primary tailwaters that Freddie fishes, but generation schedules weren't favorable for wading. Freddie suggested a Smokies trip, and one I checked the Little River gauge and saw water temp hit 52 the day before I was game. I drove to Freddie's and he drove from there. We stopped and sampled the local eating establishment, but it wasn't even close to Mountain House. We decided to check out some of the fire damage. While Nathan and I checked out Lower West Prong on New Year's day, I wanted to check out the streams most effected by the fire. Also took a drive around.

There was still lots of nasty reminders of the fire

But most lots were already cleaned up with grass down

The remains of the house that the creek went under

The skeleton of what once was Tree Tops

The daffodils made it fine. If you notice that Freddie is wearing two right shoes you get extra points. No long hike today.

And while many on this forum think about what they look like when photographed and dress better, I obviosly do not. Sporting my $10 Walmart camo and an ugly fleece cap. Do I get points for the Simms pants?

Anyway now time for some fishing
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Steam look pretty nice

Some nice holes

And the reason for the season. And on the dry!

And my best fish of the day

Looked at water temp this morning and realized Sun and Monday were the days to get it!
    Until the next adventure
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Good to see you are getting out and fishing some!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I had talked with the guy that bought and refurbished that house with the center chimney and the porch down on the creek. He was really proud of that, sad to see it like this with that beautiful copper
    roof down in the creek! I hope he and his family were ok, I have lost contact with them.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Thanks for the report and glad you got out! I was able to hit the Clinch on Saturday for some modest rainbows and hit the park Sunday chasing tiny specs in a burnt area for the second time. The fishing seems fine, and most areas seem primed for re-growth, just kinda smells like an old wet ashtray. Come on spring!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

Good stuff ducky.
    My posts are worthless without pictures