Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterville, NC

Default Waterville, NC

Does anyone know the generation schedule in the off season at the Waterville Power Plant? I can find plenty of info on release schedules for rafting season but even Duke energy does not show a schedule for the off season. Is it just "as needed" during this time?

What river is the Waterville Power Plant on?

I'm not sure about the schedule, but you might be able to draw some conclusions from the streamflow gauge there. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=03460795 Definitely not a guarantee that they will keep the same pattern going, but I'd say it would be a good starting point to make some sort of approximate prediction.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thanks David, I did check that out. I will be fishing much further down from the power plant so if they do generate that day hopefully I will have some time before the water hits where I will be at.

imnohero,

That is the Pigeon River on the Tennessee side.

Found something that will help.

"Unscheduled releases occur throughout the year whenever power is generated. Unscheduled releases are subject to change and often are not announced on the 1-800 number. One option for catching unscheduled releases is to monitor the online gauge located just downstream of the power plant (Big Pigeon at Waterville); another is to call the power plant at 828-486-5965."

http://boatingbeta.com/runs/pigeongorge.htm

It runs quite a bit in the afternoons as CP&L need to supplement their power demands.

Here is a link to the gauge: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=03460795
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Thanks guys for your responses. Guess we will see if the warm weather Monday will have the smallmouth looking for food.

That 800 number will tell you when they plan to generate but it's a tentative plan for sure. Always fishes way better for smallmouth in late summer/early fall. Caught a largemouth pushing 6 lbs there last fall amongst all the chunky smallmouth

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    That 800 number will tell you when they plan to generate but it's a tentative plan for sure. Always fishes way better for smallmouth in late summer/early fall. Caught a largemouth pushing 6 lbs there last fall amongst all the chunky smallmouth
    Thanks....I agree it most certainly fishes better later in the year. That is typically when I fish it. I have never fished it this early in the year so I did not know how the power plant managed the flows compared to rafting season which is when I am usually fishing and there are set discharge days. I just need to scratch the itch if you know what I mean.

I've finally got a framed raft and plan to learn a lot more about the river this year. Give me a shout if you want to float.

Do we have Private Messaging now with the new board setup?