Thread: Quick Trip to the NC side of the park

Default Quick Trip to the NC side of the park

With the weather warming up I was really starting to get the itch to head up to the mountains, so I called up my daughter and set up a quick trip to Smokemont. I got in about 9pm on Friday night and got the tent set up before my daughter got in about 10:30. We talked about where we wanted to fish in the morning and then hit the rack. We ended up having a very loud thunder storm with a bunch of rain. I finally got up about 0530 and made coffee, then breakfast. We got ready to head out, and I checked the stream, and luckily the rain hadn't made the water cloudy or unfishable so we hit the trail. About 15 minutes in the light rain that had continued to fall let up, and we put our rain jackets in our vest and continued up the mountain.

The sun finally started to come out as the cloud cover dissipated, and we decided to start fishing about 1.5 miles up the trail. We started seeing some of what I was hoping for, large quill gordons coming off of the water. My daughter caught the first fish, a very nice 9-10" brook trout. I followed with a smaller brook, then a brown that was about 9". We fished from then till about 2pm, and we each caught 10-11 fish. The great news is that my daughter caught her first Smokies Slam

I also caught a Smokies Slam, all on a quill Gordon dry. Most of my daughters fish came on a hares ear dropper.

We headed back to camp and made some dinner and hit the rack. Woke up Sunday morning to a brisk 28 degrees. Made coffee and breakfast, then decided to break camp prior to going fishing, so hopefully it had a chance to warm up. Ended up getting back on the water about 1200 or so, to a much nicer mid 40s temp. Fished for about 1.5 hours and we each caught about 5-6 fish, before heading home.

Here are a couple of pictures from Sunday afternoon.

Nice fish!!! Kudos on the slams

Good stuff and nice pictures!
    My posts are worthless without pictures