Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Institutionalized

Default Institutionalized

I made it out to fish one of my least liked places in the park this weekend. I had originally planned on heading to a different area, but the ease of access and my lazy rearend sucked me right in to a stream that I hate. I wanted roadside fishing, and I wanted a medium sized stream that is easy to wade. So, I chose one of the most publicized streams in the park to fish. It was beautiful outside, so the worst thing that could happen would be that I might only catch a couple fish.

This trip started the night before when I was tying some Catskill style dry flies. I've got a trip planned for the area this spring to meet up and fish with a buddy and I needed some practice at tying some Catskill style flies. I figured some Quill Gordons would be just the ticket. There should be plenty of them on the water to compare my fake too.

Instagram has made me start tying better flies and taking artsy fartsy pictures of them. I was more than pleased with these.

I had to make a quick stop at LRO on my way to the park to pick up a tube of reel grease. I hadn't used my 3 weight since the middle of last summer and the noises it was making sounded pathetic. I had stopped a little lower than I'm used to fishing and proceeded to catch nothing over the next hour.

I had only seen 1 fish rise the entire time, but Blue Quills and Quill Gordons were coming off everywhere. It was about lunchtime, so I stopped back at the car and ate a little lunch.

l hopped back into the stream and started fishing upstream of the car. Still, tons of bugs but no fish. This was starting to suck. Too me, my fly looked great on the water, why wasn't I getting looks!?! Around 1:00 I finally found a dumb one to take my fly. Rule #1, always take a picture of your first fish.

My posts are worthless without pictures

It was still a struggle to catch a fish after that first one, but at 1:30, someone threw a switch. It seamed that every good drift I had, I caught a fish.

I love over-analyzing fish pictures. Is this guy staring at the fly wondering "How I'd mistake this for the real thing"; or is it thinking "How'd this thing have a hook in it? It looks so real". I like to think the latter.

These small hurdles were nothing to get over.

I continued to catch fish after fish. 2:00 was the start of the magic hour. there were fish rising everywhere and they were succumbing to my fakes.

I always like to flip some rocks and see what I should be tying instead of what the Internets tell me I should be tying. Here's a caddis "worm" that was phenomenal. The bottom was bright green, but the top was dull and brown. I see a lot of these on the stream bottom, and some day, I'll talk mightself into fishing more of them them.

More stream creatures, just because they are freaking awesome.

I ended the day at a run that had fish after fish rising. I caught 4-6 of them and decided to call it a day before I felt greedy.

This was probably one of my best days on the stream in several years and it was on a stream I really dislike. I see me making a few more stops here in 2017.

Now that is a great trip report! Good pictures, excellent writeup, showed us the magic flies and even some real bugs. Thanks for sharing!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Nice!! Thanks for the pics, always fun to have action like that near a road

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    Now that is a great trip report! Good pictures, excellent writeup, showed us the magic flies and even some real bugs. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!

I've never been much for trying to match the hatch. Normally, I would've just tied on a 12 parachute adams and called it a day. These actually matched the hatch. I had numerous times where trout choose my fly over the real thing. I even caught several fish that studied the fly before taking it. That rarely happens with me. Enough of tooting my own horn.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Nice!! Thanks for the pics, always fun to have action like that near a road
    I was surprised at the lack of people fishing when I showed up, but by the time I left, about all the pull-offs were taken.

Great report Buzz! Nice shot of the clinger nymphs and green rock worms. Tie up some of those green rock worm imitations. They are a free living caddis that doesn't build some kind of case like most other caddis. They are present in good numbers in most of the area streams.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Nothing makes me miss the smokies more than Buzz's trip reports.
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu
    800 miles North of the country's best wild trout fishing

Great post
    thanks for sharing
    So was it Brandon's post that took away your Smoky Mountain streamer fishing?
    We all know we can't compete with David Knapp but it's pretty bad when an out of towner comes into your backyard and lays it down with sculpin and the icing on the cake the mouse pattern
    anyway thanks again for the post and keep them coming
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com