Thread: Anybody been to Big Snowbird recently?

Default Anybody been to Big Snowbird recently?

Last time I was there was late summer, towards the tail end of that awful hot and dry spell last year. Even with low water and spooky fish, it was a beautiful day on a beautiful stream, managed a couple pretty little 'bows, as we were still below the falls.
    Not this weekend but next, planning on meeting a buddy up there for some camping and fishing. I didn't realize until yesterday that most of N GA and W NC are still in a state of "exceptional" drought, which got me wondering about Snowbird.

Any info is appreciated,

Chris

IMG_20160904_122649 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

IMG_20160904_132513 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

(pics from last year on snowbird)

I fish several different streams in WNC and I am periodically checking the USGS gauges there and have seen that even though on this side of the mountains we have recovered rainfall wise, they haven't been as fortunate. In fact, several streams I check over there have still been flowing at historic lows.

I was in WNC and SC fishing last year, the rivers were the lowest I had ever seen them. It was scary in fact. I went three days in a row to the same spot, there was a noticeable change of about a foot of new shoreline each day.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02176930

Sorry it took me so long to post this
    Yes like others have said Snowbird has has an extremely drought conditions
    Google hunting boy carvers and give them a call
    Tell them the guy who makes the kayak toys told you to call and I'm sure he will give you the low down
    They have a tubing business on snowbird low down and are located pretty close
    Great gem mine that's better than any others I have been to
    Hope that helps
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

What with spring break starting this week or next for most places, what would you guys think are the odds of being able to get a walk-in spot in the park, friday night?
    From various trip reports I've seen, it sounds like the park is doing a little better than extreme WNC.