Thread: the annual run!!

Default the annual run!!

Every year I look forward to this, when the air starts to heat up and warmwater fish began to stage for spawning. it seems especially fitting that after a long winter with very few chances to chase bass or panfish that the white bass would be the way to kick off the warm season! they come in huge schools to the creek mouths and as the water warms further the big girls show up, even hybrids. so last week my calendar notification went off to go check for them at my yearly spot......wouldn't you know they were staging and some of their girlfriends had even arrived! I spent the afternoon having a blast...it was great to catch these on the Barclay 70LS ( fiberglass 7ft 6wt) and all ( 33) were caught on a single clouser that I had tied with the faux bucktail that Flymen sent me....a great test to see how rigid the material is. Near the end of the day I had a big take and just knew that I had hooked into a big hybrid or an early arrival striper....not the case but a great testament to the rod and great to hear the Bougle' sing. Every year I seem to catch a buffalo carp on this particular flat, I'm not sure if they're spawning as well but never fails that one eats a clouser.
    What a day I was blessed to experience!

You've got me fired up to get out and fish some this weekend. Awesome catch and thanks for the report!!!

I'm used to fishing white clousers for them, but that's an awesome looking fly.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Man, they are fun to catch when you find them schooled up. Frustrating how they will be "there" one day and gone the next. Great opportunity to get others excited in fly fishing. Thanks for sharing. Nice reel!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Nice fish thanks for the pics. One of my favorite fish to catch and probably the main source of protein in my diet. I live right next to their favorite spot......... been having a lot of fish fry(s) lately

has anyone ever fished at the mouth of third creek in downtown knoxville? Saw on three rivers angler website that this is a popular place to fish for them. Just wondering if anyone has had success their ever or even this year?

Sure have. it ain't my favorite spot for white bass but they are thick in there. It can be crowded at times and I think there's a sign that says don't touch the water hahaha. I would most definitely not eat fish from there and that's saying something because I eat fish from anywhere. They were thick in there about a month ago but I don't know if they are still in the area. I can Scout it for you tomorrow and/or Saturday if you are curious, but as far as fly pole the most fun is coming up when they get on the shoals in April