Thread: Roaring Fork-Gatlinburg Fires

Default Roaring Fork-Gatlinburg Fires

Hello All

I'll be up in the Smokies in three weeks. Really looking forward to Spring fishing!

All the usual spots i go to should be ok since the fires, but I was curious if Roaring Fork near Mynet Park in Gatlinburg is in the clear. It's a small stream near the motor trail and it's become a favorite because on days everyone is sleeping in I can walk to that stream in 5 minutes and catch eager trout for an hour or so.

I heard the fires blazed that area and I was wondering if anyone was able to fish there recently.

Thanks

I fished it about a week ago. The fire did come through there. It's pretty noticeable on the drive in from 321 up to the mill.

I fished from from the bottom up for about a mile or so. Haven't fished it in about 30 years, but there are several trees down, but can't say if the fire did that or not. They didn't appear to be burned, but in some sections you could see where the fire got to the stream. I normally fish pretty remote/harder to access streams and I will say, the lower section at least was quite a workout.

My understanding was that the fires did get in there particularly on that side. Not sure of the affect though.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    My understanding was that the fires did get in there particularly on that side. Not sure of the affect though.
    From what I personally saw, it looks much worse just outside of the park and tapers off as you get to Ely's mill at the boundary. Ely's mill was untouched and they were open for business.

As I fished in, I saw nothing, but the further I got I could see burned areas at the tops of the ridges. It's pretty narrow in there and I think there are areas that got skipped over due to the excessive winds. I saw very little indication of the fires right on or near the stream. Every now and then I did see some burned limbs that had fallen or washed down stream.

Where I parked at the gate showed no indications of a fire. It was not until I got a ways upstream I noticed it on my left, up high.