Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Entry Level Waders

Default Best Entry Level Waders

Just getting into fly fishing. What do you guys think are the best waders for the money? Also, what kind of boots would you suggest? Thanks in advance!!

What's your budget? Best for the money means different things to different people.

Less than 150

Each or total?

one thing you learn with waders and to a lesser extent with wading boots, warranty/customer support means a lot.

The last thing you need or want is it is to save money buying cheap waders and having them leak and not having a decent warranty or customer service. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for and waders are no exception. Getting cold and wet will take the fun out of fishing real quick.

I understand "you get what you pay for". Is there a certain pair of waders that are a real "bang for the buck" that anyone could recommend?

The wader companies with the best customer support warranty are (in no particular order) Simms, Orvis, Patagonia and L.L. Bean. Those 4 come to mind. Look at their offerings and see what you like. Depending on your body size/shape, some companies offer better fits especially if you have a "non standard" body type as most of us do.

One other thing to weigh in with is how often you plan on wearing them. For me personally, I only wear waders when I have to. I prefer to wet wade, weather permitting. Being as I fish tailwaters such as the Clinch rarely, I don't wear them that often. Therefore, I just have a cheap pair I got with my Cabelas bucks.

Mine came from Academy. Cheap, about $50 I think. They have lasted two years, but I let them dry thoroughly and store them hanging. Also, those two years is only wearing them roughly 10 times. They are breathable, not neoprene. I wear fleece pants when on the Clinch...even in summer.

I've owned both the Orvis and Simms entry level waders. They've both lasted me many years. I'm still wearing the Simms. I liked the Orvis waders better simply because they had a pocket on the front and the Simms waders don't. I can't help you with cheap boots. I put tons of miles hiking into and out of streams, so I buy good boots.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Just my 2 cents is if you could go to $200, look for things on sale. I picked about a cheap pair of waders at a big box Bass something store on sale for $100. Found a pair of Simms boots there too on sale. Applied for the Bass Big Box Credit card and got 15% off I think. I think it put me just over $200 bucks.

Not getting the felt boot though was a bit disappointing. So I found a sale at a local Orvi whatever place and bought Korkers Buckskin Wading Boots http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=661&page=1

Great little boots for the price too. Being able to go from felt to rubber is really nice.
    To Fish or not to Fish? That's a stupid question.

http://www.tu.org/

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Just my 2 cents is if you could go to $200, look for things on sale. I picked about a cheap pair of waders at a big box Bass something store on sale for $100. Found a pair of Simms boots there too on sale. Applied for the Bass Big Box Credit card and got 15% off I think. I think it put me just over $200 bucks.

Not getting the felt boot though was a bit disappointing. So I found a sale at a local Orvi whatever place and bought Korkers Buckskin Wading Boots http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=661&page=1

Great little boots for the price too. Being able to go from felt to rubber is really nice.
    I agree. Suggest you look for close outs for discontinued products from good manufacturers. I recently purchased a pair of Korker Whitehorse boots for under $100. Also look for close outs on good waders like Redington or Sims. Many good fly shops sell these online so start searching the web.