Thread: Groundpounder Chronicles

Default Groundpounder Chronicles

Groundpounder = a dude without a boat

Chronicles = a series of part truths and a few lies

The past couple of years, fishing time has come at a premium. It seams that every time I wanted to fish, I've wanted it to be an "adventure", 5 miles in and noone around. Finding time to do this has gotten harder and harder. The whole time, I'm commuting from just south of Maryville to north Knoxville for work. I drive on bridges over both Tellico Lake and Fort Loudon; Melton Hill Lake is probably only 15 minutes from the office. Three days a week, I stop on at the Maryville/Alcoa Greenway to run. I either park at the Springbrook Pond, the Alcoa City Pond, or the Downtown Maryville Duck Pond. I never think to bring a flyrod and fish any of these. There are probably dozens of parks and public areas I can fish that are within 15 minutes of my typical daily commute.

I had planned on hiking up above Elkmont to fish this morning and spending the day there. Before my wife left or work this morning, she brought up how they were short help today and she wouldn't have a chance to eat lunch. So, being the good husband I am, I volunteered to bring her something to eat. That meant that I would only have a few hours to fish. So, I grabbed my 7 weight, threw a few warmwater fly boxes in a backpack and headed to one of the area lakes. I got there waaaaaaaaaaaay later than I really should have; however, I was greeted by a gobbler just hammering on a ridge across the lake.

The fish were willing, I caught around 1/2 dozen in almost 2 hours of fishing. Most of them were cookie cutters of each other with a smallmouth thrown in for good measure.

I fished streamers and poppers with the poppers being the preferred bait for the fish.

Actually, I didn't have a single hit on a streamer, but all the takes on the popper were vicious.

I see me doing a lot more of this style fishing in the future.

My posts are worthless without pictures

Welcome to the warmwater dark side. That sure does look like the area near my family lake house, is there a marina behind you?

Nice Bass Buzz!

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Welcome to the warmwater dark side. That sure does look like the area near my family lake house, is there a marina behind you?
    There is a marina behind me. It's the one by the old blockhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    Nice Bass Buzz!
    Thanks Gary. You've been catching some nice fish yourself this spring.
    My posts are worthless without pictures