Thread: Leader Question

Default Leader Question

So what length leader is recommended for the small streams in the park? I have a bunch of Orvis 9 foot leaders. I would think a shorter leader would be best for the park streams, especially when fishing nymphs. I could easily shorten these 9 footers, but what length should I use?
    Joe

Personally, I use furled leaders and then attach tippet via the tippet ring. My furled leaders are usually 4-4 1/2' long. I then attach around 2 1/2' of tippet to my dry and then another 16" to 20" of tippet to my dropper. Overall, it will average 7 1/2' to maybe 8-9'. I don't measure exact lengths. Now on some really tight bluelines in the park I might shorten it a foot or so overall.

I use the shortest ones I can get away with because the main issues in the gsmnp is missing fish because of slow hook sets

I typically use a 7.5 foot 4x leader. Then, I'll tie on a short section of 5x tippet to this. By the end of its life, the leader is usually around 6' and my knots to the tippet look horrible.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

For mid and larger I use 9 foot 5X
    For small I use 7.5 5x
    If the stream is real small the 7.5 fresh with no tippet works well. Then tie on 5X when it breaks. 6X in low water and spooky conditions
    It's my opinion the 5x leaders last 3 times longer than the 6 & 7X. I remember Mac and Colby complaining about going through so many leaders only to find they were using 6&7 X. A pack of 3 5x leaders should get you through dozens of days fishing.
    Hope that helps
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com