Thread: Deep Creek questions and hopefully answers

Thumbs up Deep Creek questions and hopefully answers

My friend from college came down to fish the park for two days. We had a 70+ fish day today on middle and west prongs on a neversink caddis/pheasant tail dry dropper rig. Tomorrow, we are wanting to try an area of the park we have never fished. Namely, Deep Creek.

Has any one every fished this stream? We want to know if it is worth trying out. My friend wants to try for a larger brown in the park, and we have heard that it is possible to catch them at Deep Creek.

Yes and yes. But you will need to hike up above Indian Creek, .7 miles, to start fishing. Tubers are already in the water. Relatively speaking, that stream gets some fishing pressure from the campgrounds so that's another advantage of walking up a ways.

If its just a big brown you're after, i think you'd do just as well on the little river.
    If you just wanna try deep creek, like old tom said, you need to hike for a while.

I have heard of big browns caught here although I have never had much luck in that department, I have caught several smaller wild browns as stated above you need to hike above the tubers. stocked fish from the tuck will swim up deep creek as the water warms so there is that chance at catching bigger fish as well down low.

I agree with the others. I've fished Deep Creek and you could spend time driving across the mountain then more time hiking...... fish .... then hike back out and drive back across the mountain.

Or, you can maximize your time fishing along Little River Road. Park and step out to fish a good looking spot and catch big browns.

Much more big water along Little River from the boundary to miles above Elkmont or Tremont that surprisingly few fishermen spend time learning. I've seen browns over 30" from the road. One we named "Teflon" because no hook could stick in his jaw!!!

Jim Parks