Thread: Syndicate Rods

Default Syndicate Rods

Does anyone have experience with fishing a Syndicate Competition Fly Rod or another competition rod (Cortland, Sage, Echo)? If so, are they appropriate for high-stick nymphing in the park? What are advantages and disadvantage? What lines are appropriate to use with them?

Quote Originally Posted by JHS View Post
    Does anyone have experience with fishing a Syndicate Competition Fly Rod or another competition rod (Cortland, Sage, Echo)? If so, are they appropriate for high-stick nymphing in the park? What are advantages and disadvantage? What lines are appropriate to use with them?
    Had one (11' 3wt) for a little over a year and love it. I use it in the park and on tailwaters. Only time I don't use it is drifting or fishing warm water. If I only fished the park, I might go down to a 2wt as it will really feel more like a 9' 3wt.

I haven't had the opportunity to fish a Syndicate rod yet, but I do have a 10' 4wt TFO BVK that I love for tightlining. It is my go to through the cold months in all stream types. I didn't realize how nice the longer rod is until I was nymphing with my 8'6" not long ago and was quickly reminded how essential it was to be able to reach over some currents to get the right drift.

I like the 4 wt because it is versatile for multiple water types, but I would back down to a 2wt if I was just using it in the park.