Thread: Clinch water question

Default Clinch water question

I grew up fishing the Caney Fork but last fall relocated to East Tennessee in Sevierville. I would like to check out the Clinch. Are there maps with flow times for falling or rising water? Does the river have good waiting access? Can it be waded when sluicing?

http://crctu.org/wp-content/uploads/...nDownTimes.pdf

This article by John Thurman explains flow times and drain down times and is very accurate.

With a quick google map search you can find the most popular public wading access spots ----> Norris Dam, the weir, Miller Island, Peach Orchard boat ramp, and the Jail/Church area at Public Safety Lane in Clinton.
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Some of the flow information may change soon. Hopefully some improvements will be coming to the current minimum flow water volumes. The recent years large periods of 11-12 hours of mimium in the summer months has clearly taken a toll on the invertebrate biomass in the river. Some Weir engineering changes may improve the flows for the better for more biomass survival; and thus avoid the drying out of so much of the substrate that we are seeing in the 11-12 hour releases where , frankly, the weir has completely drained in perhaps 6-7 hours. TVA is studying issue this right now.
    Last edited by Joe Congleton; 06-22-2017 at 05:20 PM.

No wading the Clinch when they are sluicing, doesn't matter how many generators or none. Right now zero generators and they are putting out 4500 cfs which is more than comes out running one generator normally, almost to the two generator level. Have to wait for zero generators and no sluicing. However using that chart of flow times you can sometimes fish down at the hwy 61 bridge / jail area for 5 hours after they turn on generators providing they have been completely off for long enough before they started.

Thank you all for the information I appreciate it. I will definitely follow that link and check out the flow times chart info. I have the times and flows pretty narrow down on the Caney and I could be anywhere on the river depending on flows I understood it really well.

How far Downstream from the dam is still considered trout water?

Down to the Hwy 61 bridge. I'm sure trout go farther down but it's deep and different. Anyway TWRA requires a trout supplemental to the fishing liscences anywhere between the bridge and the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneflylama72 View Post
    Down to the Hwy 61 bridge. I'm sure trout go farther down but it's deep and different. Anyway TWRA requires a trout supplemental to the fishing liscences anywhere between the bridge and the dam.
    Just to clarify, the supplemental trout permit is needed no matter where you trout fish (statewide) other than the GSMNP. The GSMNP does not require one, only a general fishing license from TN or NC no matter which side you fish.

We've regularly caught trout down to Aulton Island (at the end of what used to be considered "navigable water" at the end of Eagle Bend Industrial Park), and sometimes down to Clinton Island and beyond. Once you get to Mariner Point, it's almost all warm water species. Very little, if any of that water below the Hwy 61 bridge is wadeable.
    I fish......
    ......because the voices in my head tell me to.