Thread: Surf Fishing Question

Default Surf Fishing Question

I have never fished salt except off the pier as a kid. Does anyone have any information or advice for me? I want to take my fly rod and fish from the beach. I am not going to be in a yak, marsh, back water, etc., just off the public beach.
    What weight and flies do you recommend? I was thinking an 8 weight and clousers or similar type flies. I was just thinking about wading out knee deep or so.
    It will be at Oak Island, NC at the end of September. I will not be keeping anything, just want to see what I might catch for fun.
    I appreciate any help.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Actually I have recently been in the same position as you will be. I am in Jacksonville for the summer. 7 or 8 weight will work fine. I have used a grey clouser for weeks now and its worked very well. I assume depends on where you are but for me wading out knee deep and throwing in the "wash" or like the area where the waves are fizzling out has worked well

Sand Flea imitations and clousers work well. I have thrown my 8 wt in the surf some. I talked to a fly shop down on the coast, bring your good polarized glasses and watch for fish moving in the surf. They showed me tons of pictures they took with a polarized lens on a camera to show me what to look for. You can see nice sized fish moving even in the breakers if you have a clear day. I wouldn't totally rule out finding a cool stretch on the intracoastal or a marsh and seeing what you get. I'm the Charleston area all summer and I forgot my fly rod this year.

Fish the low impact beaches, 2 hours after high tide. If you see small bait fish scatter as you wade that's a good sign. Look for run outs and cuts. This is done at low tide. I fish Jacksonville where I live. Remember water over your knees and you are now a part of the food chain.

I appreciate the response. I do not want to be part of the food chain so I may stay out of the water.
    I've been thinking about just taking a medium action bass rod with a baitcaster and see how it goes, then buy a salt water fly set up if I like it. I hate to spend all that money and never use it again.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Bass rod will work. Use spoons "Kast Master" and the like. Jig heads with bait, Gulp etc. Aim for where the wave breaks and keep it under the foam on top of the water. The fish use the foam as to hide from the Ospreys that are looking for them and to see what the wave digs up. Go at low tide and look for structure and then go back at high and fish this location.

I fly fish the OBX a couple times a year in the surf been saltwater flyfishing for about 10 years now couple times a year, we do surf and kayak fishing on our own and also go out with our favorite guide Sarah Gardner from Outer Banks Fly Fishing, she has given us awesome tips on what and where and how to fly fish saltwater for years now. its alot of of fun, we also do it from our yaks in the sounds too for Pups, Reds, trout, flounder etc...you never know what you'll catch.
    We have caught blues, spanish, pompano, flounder in the surf on fly.
    Your 8 wt will work fine...if you have a sink tip or intermediate line will be fine..a floating line just wont get down...we like to use a bit of floro as tippet cause there are toothy critters make sure you bring a pair of nail cutters they are cheap and if they dull its no big deal and wont ruin your good nips....
    as far as the rod and reel every day just remember to rinse it well after each fishing day...take it in the shower with you and rinse it really well....we like to remove the reel the last day and soak it overnight before we leave as a final rinse...salt will eat it away and corrode if you dont rinse it well.....
    as far as flies...for the surf or even just saltwater in general the best all around fly is the clouser..I highly reccomend clousers.....chartruese and white, black and orange..aka obx clouser...pink and white, gray and white, also work well. some crazy charlies are good in pink and white, also some sanjuan worms work good too.. just remember if your hooks are regular they will rust so try to make your flies on stainless if your tying your own. or buy some saltwater flies from either your local tackle shop or online i have a number of crab patterns but just cant seem to catch much on them....clousers are the go to.! ....MossyCreek fly shop has a great selection and you can purchase online. heres a pic of my saltwater box...hope it posts ok

heres the link to my fb image of it.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0&l=b80beb7f3c

Good Luck and hope this info helps.

I use an 8 wt and mainly throw clousers. In the Atlantic I find fishing when the tide is moving out to be good. You don't have to throw out far beyond the surf. Fish the breakers and you should get hits.

On the gulf I would look for cruisers in shallows. Can be good sight fishing throwing in front of them and getting them to chase the strip.

Wherever you are going Check local web sites to see what species they have and
    possible hot spots. Good luck.