Thread: Smallmouth in Pigeon Forge

Question Smallmouth in Pigeon Forge

Ive been reading about the small mouth fishing in Pigeon Forge. My son is really all excited about it, he'll be 13 this October and we are planning a trip to the Mountains for his birthday. He's really wanting to go smallmouth fishing. My question is, where is a good place for us to get into the river we can wade and fish Ive drove through there many times, but I've always been intent on going after brookies in the mountains, and I really haven't paid much attention to the river there. Also, is there any kind of special permit or anything that we need to know about before we go?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.

That's an awesome link Jay, but unless I'm missing something I don't think it answers my question. Is the west prong of the little pigeon wadeable through pigeon forge? I read some place that there was places 20 ft deep or so. We don't have a boat and I was just wondering about that mostly. I don't think I asked that question very clear at the first, sorry for that. thanks again
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.

I have never found any water on the little pigeon that was 20 ft deep. You can walk through the river in sevierville and never get more than neck deep. You Would most likely be dragging bottom in any boat that's not an inner tube. Granted I haven't fished the pigeon forge side much but I imagine it is similar. Wading is the way to go, just park anywhere and jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    That's an awesome link Jay, but unless I'm missing something I don't think it answers my question. Is the west prong of the little pigeon wadeable through pigeon forge? I read some place that there was places 20 ft deep or so. We don't have a boat and I was just wondering about that mostly. I don't think I asked that question very clear at the first, sorry for that. thanks again
    My link was just a start in order to read what the limits/size/etc. is legal for smallmouth on that stream. It varies across the state.

If you can swing it you should call Frontier Anglers and get Gary Troutman to take you out in PF. It would almost guarantee your son a great day catching some Smallies and you could learn a lot for future
    reference about the river there. http://frontieranglerstn.com/

I don't know anyone more knowledgeable about fishing the bronze backs there than Gary, he's spent many years chasing them and he just started guiding. Good luck!!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Ill answer your questions since no one else seems willing. Anywhere in pigeon forge has smallmouth and rockbass. Access the river anywhere you can. I typically park in business and store parking lots, and I have never been hassled. A lot of people like to fish down in Sevierville near the wilderness resort, but I have fished all through pigeon forge as well. The river is definitely smaller in pigeon forge than Sevierville. Which can make it easier to find fish, but also typically means smaller fish...
    If you are spin fishing use a 2.5 to 3 inch tube jig in watermelon green color with an 1/8 ounce jog head. That is literally the only thing you need if you are spin fishing.
    For fly fishing use an assortment of poppers, clousers, and especially helgramite patters. Fish the riffles, and stay away from non moving water. Creek smallmouth act more like trout than bass, so keep that in mind. A helgramite pattern under an indicator in a riffle will always catch fish.
    If you need more info just ask, ill be glad to help.

Thanks a lot 2wtfavorite!! That's a huge help.

I've Smallmouth fished this river for a really long time. There is lots of access in PF and Sevierville. Like 2 wt said, most parking lots of businesses will allow access and there are some parking areas in Sevierville just for river access. Most hotels along the streams do not.
    Smaller poppers in size 6 in yellow, green and black work well, stealth bombers, for topwater. I keep it pretty simple on streamers. White clousers, black and olive buggers, and often in summer low water, white Shenks or pearl coffey sparkle minnows on the LP.
    I would be glad to take you all on a guided trip when your in town. I book trips half and full day wade or float for Smallies
    Through FrontierAnglersTN.
    Last edited by Troutman; 08-07-2017 at 03:53 PM.